Pages

Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Wood-Fired Oven Cornbread

Print Friendly and PDF
“Her corn-cake, in all its varieties of hoe-cake, dodgers, muffins and other species too numerous to mention, was a sublime mystery to all less practised compounders.”  Harriet Beecher Stowe " Uncle Tom's Cabin" 1852

Cornbread is frequently served in my house, and I truly believe I can make it in my sleep, so many have I made. It's hard to beat a hunk of crusty cornbread served to accompany a warming soup or stew. Now, it was time to use the outdoor wood fired oven we had built a year ago. To prepare the  wood-fired oven for the cornbread, we built a fire and carefully watched the temperature as we needed 400°F, the same temperature I use in my kitchen oven. It took about 40 minutes, but times can be longer dependent on the outside temperature, the state of your wood and other variables. When the fire was ready, I oiled and preheated my cast iron frying pan just as I do in for baking in the kitchen oven. It took about 10 minutes to do this and ensures that the cornbread will be nice and crispy on the outside. One doesn't need a wood-fired oven to make cornbread, a conventional oven works fine.

Wood-Fired Oven Cornbread
My contribution to BWW #156, this edition hosted by Simona of Briciole

Cornbread
Serves 6-8

2 cups yellow cornmeal
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
6 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
1 tablespoon bacon drippings or vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Drizzle bacon drippings in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. While mixing the ingredients for the cornbread, put skillet in oven and heat about 10 minutes or until just short of smoking.

Whisk together the cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix together the eggs and the buttermilk and add to the dry ingredients. Mix together, then pour in the butter.

Remove the pan from the oven using oven mitts as the pan will be very hot. Pour in the cornbread batter. Bake 20-25 minutes in a conventional oven or wood-fired oven until golden brown.



ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

3 comments:

Simona Carini said...

I have never made cornbread in my wood-fired oven but after seeing your post, I can't wait to try. It's a lovely golden color. Thank you so much for your contribution to B&W Wednesday.

Lynne Daley said...

Simona, thank you, I was very pleased with the wood-fired oven cornbread. I think you will like it ,too in your oven.

Martha said...

Reminds me of our childhood - big cakes of cornbread and delicious vegetable (fresh, of course) soup!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.