Monday, July 07, 2014

Watermelon Jalapeño Cooler Garnished with Candied Jalapeños

Print Friendly and PDF
Watermelon Jalapeño Cooler

Watermelon speaks of summer! It is de rigueur for the 4th of July, to enjoy on the beach, or on a newspaper-lined picnic table outdoors. Watermelons are available year round, but the sweetest, freshest melons are those grown locally. As a child growing up on a farm, I remember the summer my dad planted several acres of watermelon and cantaloupe not for sale, but just because he loved both. He told all the townspeople and farmers to pick whatever that wanted from this huge field of green vining plants dotted with  light and dark green striped watermelons bursting with flavor contrasted with the pastel orange, sometimes gray-green, cantaloupe.



I'll save the cantaloupe for another post. Today's speciality drink is a non-alcoholic watermelon jalapeño cooler made with fresh watermelon, jalapeño simple syrup and candied jalapeños for garnish. A refreshing libation with a touch of heat!  My garden with only a lone jalapeño plant is putting out peppers at a tremendous rate, so I have plenty with which  to experiment.

Watermelon Jalapeño Cooler

  • 5 cups chopped seeded watermelon
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 1/2-3/4 cup Jalapeño Simple Syrup (recipe below)
  • Candied Jalapeños, for garnish
In a blender, place chopped watermelon, jalapeño simple syrup and blend until smooth. Pour over ice and garnish with a few candied jalapeños and a lime slice.

Jalapeño Simple Syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, chopped (seeds and all)
In a small saucepan, combine the water, sugar and peppers and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let steep 20 minutes.

Strain the syrup and allow to cool. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Keeps a long time in the refrigerator. For use with cocktails, add 1 tablespoon vodka to the mixture after it cools. Then, basically, it keeps forever in the refrigerator, if you have it that long.



The black and white image above is my contribution to Black and White Wednesday #137, hosted by Simona of Briciole. BWW was created by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook and is now managed by Cinzia of Cindy Star Blog.

ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

2 comments:

Rachel Ring Alborn said...

Holy Cow - Candied Jalapeno!? Where has this been my whole life, and mixed with this watermelon... my mouth is watering and I think I need this in my life NOW!

We are in the process of moving - what a great treat this will be on a warm summer day as we have thirsty people who will be helping!

Simona Carini said...

I love watermelon and your photos make me crave a slice right now. Candied jalapenos are a novelty for me. Thank you so much for contributing to Black and White Wednesday.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.