Monday, February 10, 2014

English Muffins-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF


If you have only eaten store bought English muffins or those from a national fast food chain, you are in for a treat. These muffins are the real deal! For those who are yeast challenged or think these muffins require the rolling out and cutting technique, think again.  With just a little egg and butter to enrich the mixture, a small amount of baking powder dissolved in water to ensure a bubbly texture, the batter comes together in a flash. Given at least an hour and a half rest in the fridge or overnight if you prefer, the batter is then poured into English muffin rings or free form and baked on a cornmeal dusted griddle. The result is a perfect English muffin, a vehicle for any spread, sandwich or topping.
 It's time for the February Secret Recipe Club reveal! I was assigned Rebecah's blog, Family, Food and Fun, a very appropriate title as her blog is filled with not only delicious food, but vignettes of her lovely family and the fun they have together. I admire her and husband, Grant for home educating their five beautiful children.  I can see her that her handsome son, the eldest, will be a great big brother to his sisters! Food wise, she eschews packaged food products and the like saying if her grandparents didn't eat these modern day products filled with artificial ingredients when they were kids in the 20's, then her family wouldn't either. A homemaker of many talents! While perusing so many delicious recipes, I decided on Rebecah's English Muffins, an adaptation of one of my favorite food writer's who is also a  trained chef, Michael Ruhlman.
If you don't have the English muffin rings for the batter, it's perfectly fine to bake them free-form. In fact, the muffins are easier to flip without the rings.  The batter sometimes sticks to the rings, making them difficult to turn and to remove. 
English Muffins

Ingredients

2 ounces unsalted butter (60 grams)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 cups milk (16 ounces-475 ml)
1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons, 7 grams)
1 large egg, beaten
4 cups all-purpose flour, (16 ounces, 450 grams)
1-1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt (7 grams)
2 teaspoons baking powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
Cornmeal for dusting

Technique

Combine the butter and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the milk, stir and remove from heat. Stir in the yeast and egg.

Combine the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the milk mixture and stir until well-combined. Cover and set aside for 1-1/2 hours, or refrigerate overnight. Remove from the fridge at least an hour before cooking the muffins.

Heat a griddle or skillet (cast iron is perfect) over medium heat. If using the rings, grease them lightly with butter. Stir the dissolved baking powder into the batter. Dust the griddle with corn meal. Scoop out about 1/4-cup portions onto the griddle, free form or in the prepared rings. Cook for about seven minutes. Flip and continue cooking until done, 7-10 more minutes.

Allow the muffins to rest for at least 10 minutes. Split with a form and serve with butter, jam, honey or use for poached eggs, bacon or Canadian bacon and a Hollandaise sauce.

Makes 8-12 muffins.

Enjoy! Next time I make these, I will use my sourdough starter!

This post also goes to Yeastspotting


ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

20 comments:

Rebekah said...

Thank you so much for the kind comments! I'm glad you liked the muffins - my family goes crazy for them! I haven't made them in awhile....they're long overdue. :)

Colleen Bauer said...

Great choice! I rarely buy English muffins since I started making them myself.

Emily Dicks said...

Lynne these muffins look delicious, great choice and beautiful photos!

Amanda Eisenberg said...

I've made English Muffin Bread more than a few times but a bit nervous about making the actual muffins. Awesome SRC pick :-)

Danielle Miller said...

I love making homemade English muffins - they are so good!

Heather S said...

Homemade english muffins are on my to make list! You make it look so easty! Great choice for SRC!

Kate said...

Homemade English Muffins sound fantastic. Yours are beauties! I had your blog this month. Loved your Mulligatawny Soup.

AM Nichols said...

These look absolutely amazing though a little too challenging for my baking skills.

Jeanie said...

Pinned!

Maria Long said...

I know these must be amazing. I will have to try them soon. Great SRC choice

shelley c. said...

I LOVE homemade English muffins - they are so tasty. And yours look absolutely delicious. Great choice!

Julie said...

These look so good. I never knew they were fairly easy to make.

Lynne Daley said...

Rebekah, sorry I think I spelled your name wrong. I loved making your English muffins. They went with me to Winston Salem to visit my daughter and were a hit!
Colleen, so happy to hear you bake English muffins, too! They are much better than store bought.
Emily-thanks, we loved the muffins
Amanda-I don't think you would have any problem with these. They are nearly fool-proof.
Danielle-so glad to hear you make English muffins, too!
Heather-you would absolutely love making these muffins-so good!
Kate-you would really like the muffins.
Anne Marie-the muffins are super easy-you should try them!
Jeanie-thanks for the pin!
Maria-I was so impressed not only with the taste, but the ease in making the batter.

Jennifer Sikora said...

I love making homemade english muffins. They are so easy and yet SO expensive at the store. Yours looks fabulous!

Camilla Mann said...

I just recently saw another recipe for English muffins. I LOVE that you made them. Thanks for sharing with the SRC. I'll definitely give this a try.

CJ Huang said...

I'm thinking I need to make some english muffins now! :)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

beautiful muffins! This is a speciality I really enjoy making and eating.

Cheers,

Rosa

SeattleDee said...

Home-made and fork-split English muffins are SO good, and sourdough starter will be a terrific addition. It's time for another batch.

Jennifer said...

I don’t know why I keep buying these from the store when they seem so easy to make. My kids love breakfast sandwiches on English muffins. Great choice for SRC!

gastronomiette said...

I love homemade english muffins! I need to make them again - they were delicious the first time but I left them in a tupperware at room temperature for about a week and they got moldy :(

My tip is to make sure you put them in the fridge if you have leftovers!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.