Pages

Monday, August 12, 2013

Southwestern Corn Muffins With Candied Jalapeños and Tomato Jam

Print Friendly and PDF
At my local farmers market in downtown Savannah, I bought some of the hottest jalapeño peppers that I have ever eaten. Most of the supermarket ones are just mildly hot, if even that! After some research, I found that the TAM Mild Jalapeño, a heat resistant, bug resistant, glossy green pepper is more than likely what I have been buying in the supermarket. Since my peppers were so-o hot, I imagined they would make perfect candied jalapeños. Originally, I had them earmarked for a garnish on a cocktail using jalapeño infused simple syrup, but it's time for another Secret Recipe Club post. This month, I was assigned Suzanne's blog, Thru the Bugs on My Windshield. Although Suzanne has many interesting and delicious recipes, I detect a strong Southwestern theme running through her collection.   Having lived in Texas myself, I understand her love of the Southwestern cuisine.


Pin It

With my candied jalapeños made, I began scouring Suzanne's blog for recipes in which to use them. I came across her recipes for Tomato Jam and Southwestern Cornbread Muffins. Now I have to say my end result was loosely based on both these recipes, but I felt the Southwestern theme was still pure! The fiery candied jalapeños were tamed somewhat in the muffins and the tomato jam was a perfect spicy sweet foil for the dense double corn muffins. Suzanne, my apologies for deviating from your delicious recipes, but I can't help messing with my food!


The candied jalapeños and tomato jam can be made several days ahead and in fact, improve after a few days as the flavors meld. Try the jam on your morning toast, as a spread for a sandwich, as a substitute for tomato paste, or slathered on a grilled steak, as Suzanne suggests in her recipe.  Try the candied jalapeño on your favorite burger, on a cracker spread with cream cheese and topped with several slices of candied jalapeños or as a garnish for cocktails.


Southwestern Corn Muffins

1-1/2 cups stone ground cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
3 tablespoons chopped candied jalapeño 
1/2 cup frozen corn
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 400° F. Grease a 12 muffin mold. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Combine egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add to dry ingredients. Fold in corn and candied jalapeños. Top with a candied jalapeño slice, if desired. Bake about 20 minutes or until tops are golden brown and a thin knife inserted in the middle of the muffin comes out clean.
ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

14 comments:

Judee Algazi said...

I absolutely love the idea of these corn muffins. Pinning them and can't wait to try them. They will easily adapt to gluten free.Great SRC choice.

Heather S said...

I never knew that about the different variety of jalapenos. I'm always nervous I'm going to get a super spicy one when I'm making something for the kids. Your muffins look tasty!

Beth said...

That sounds wonderful - I'm not a super spicy fan, but it still made my mouth water!

kumars kitchen said...

loved the idea of candying jalapenos...it will balance their hot taste with sweet...and this combination of corn muffins,tomato jam and these hot sweet candies is truly a gourmet idea,delicious :-)

Sara said...

These look super delicious, and I especially love that tomato jab - yum! I'm visiting from Group A! :)

Susan Pridmore said...

I love everything about this dish - from the muffins, to the candied jalapenos and tomato jam. It's perfect!! Pinning to making all of these really, really soon. I'm new to SRC, Group D, and am loving finding all these great blogs and recipes!

Chiara Giglio said...

yummy ! have a nice week Lynne !

Colleen Bauer said...

What a unique use for jalapenos. I'll have to share this with a coworker whose plant is overflowing.

shelley c. said...

Super interesting! Never would have thought of trying the jalapenos, but the whole thing together looks delicious! Great choice and very well done!

Maria said...

These corn muffins look amazing, what a great idea!

Rebekah said...

I have never heard of candying jalepenos - that is so interesting! I bet they were great with the muffins. Nice creativity!

Lynne Daley said...

Judee-so pleased you pinned them-would love to see your gluten free adaptation!
Heather-neither did I! I knew the supermarket ones were not very hot most of the time!
Beth-Thanks-lovely to hear from you!
kumars kitchen-I love the hot/sweet/spicy flavors and thought they all might work well together.
Sara-thanks for coming over from Group A to comment!
Susan-Welcome to SRC! Thanks for the pin!
Chiara-lovely to hear from you-have a good week!
Colleen-hope your coworker will like these recipes! thanks for commenting .
shelley c-thanks-glad you like the idea of my combos.
Maria-thanks for stopping by and making such a nice comment.

Julie said...

Great combination of flavors!

CJ Huang said...

Candied jalapenos sound great! And even better with cornbread. :)

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.