Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Honey and Yogurt Panna Cotta

Print Friendly and PDF

 Continuing the panna cotta theme, the tangy flavor of this variation comes from plain yogurt with a touch of honey to sweeten. A panna cotta is one of the easiest desserts to make for company as it can be made ahead, in fact, most have to be in order for the gelatin to set up. As the panna cotta doesn't need baking, you can use any food safe ramekin, cup or bowl in which to serve the dessert. So bring out your favorite dish to match the occasion.  I have chosen a favorite piece in my pottery collection which holds exactly 4 cups and to me matches the rustic feel of the block of honeycomb.

Honey Yogurt Panna Cotta

1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold whole milk or 1/4 cup 2% and 1/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup plain yogurt, 2% fat
1/4 cup honey, plus more for serving, if desired

In a small bowl, sprinkle the gelatin over the cold milk and let stand for 10 minutes or until gelatin softens.

While the gelatin softens, in a bowl, stir together the 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and the yogurt of choice. Blend well. In a heavy saucepan, combine the remaining cream and honey and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and add the gelatin mixture and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Stir into the yogurt. Pour the mixture into a 4 cup glass or bowl or in individual bowls. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 2 days. Drizzle on the extra honey or top with seasonal fruit. Serves 4.


The above iPhone photo is my contribution to Black and White Wednesday #83, hosted this week by Shruthi of Food and Clicks. Special thanks to Cinzia of Cindy Star Blog our lovely admin having been chosen by Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook, BWW's lovely brainchild.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Jerry said...

Mmmm I definitely could go for some of this for dessert. Thanks for sharing this!

Simona said...

I must admit I am not a fan of panna cotta, but love your photos, especially the B&W one.

Lynne Daley said...

Thanks, Jerry
Simona, my daughter doesn't like creme brûlée, but loves panna cotta, so I understand your not liking panna cotta. It's easy which why I like it.

henri01 said...

I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive, good job and great efforts. I found it very interesting and enjoyed reading all of it...keep it up, lovely job...need more information on Cafe website

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.