Monday, March 25, 2013

Spicy Sausage Bread Rolls

Print Friendly and PDF
These rolls came together totally by accident. The dough began its life as hamburger rolls, but while it was resting in the refrigerator, I ran to the grocery store for a few things. Always interested in different sausages, fresh or smoked, I came upon a flavor I had not seen before-a cracked pepper smoked sausage! What if I wrapped the dough around thin slices of the this fully cooked peppery sausage! It was a great idea! The finished product was a success and will a little spicy mustard to pep it up, I had a great picnic bread or buns for hamburgers, hotdogs or other sandwiches.

Bread Dough

(Bread Machine)

3 cups bread flour
1/2 plain yogurt
1/2-1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon active dry yeast

Sausage Filling
4-6 ounces thinly sliced fully cooked smoked sausage of choice (I used a cracked pepper smoked sausage)
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon water

Place ingredients in the bread pan of a bread machine and process on the dough cycle according to the manufacturer's instructions for your bread machine.  Check the machine and either add more water or more flour for a well-mixed dough.When cycle has completed, remove dough from pan and place on a lightly floured surface. Let rest 5-10 minutes.

Divide dough into 9 or 12 pieces depending upon what size you wanted your finished roll. To fill the rolls, take a ball of dough and wrap it around 3-4 slices of the smoked sausage. Pinch to seal completely. Place rolls on a parchment lined baking pan. Let rise in a warm place about 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°F.

Mix egg yolk with the 1 teaspoon water. Brush the mixture on the rolls. Bake 25-30 minutes or until rolls are golden browned. Serve warm or at room temperature. They freeze well.

Spicy Sausage Bread Rolls

The black and white image is my contribution to BWW #76 hosted by its creator, Susan of The Well-Seasoned Cook . Black and White Wednesday is organized by Cinzia of CindyStar Rules and host line-up can be found Cinzia's blog.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Jehanne said...

I must try out your bread recipe next time, I love adding yogurt in cakes and I'm sure it would be great in breads too. Lovely photography, Lynne!

Simona said...

A very nice "accident"! I think your successful experiment opens up quite an array of possibilities. I like all those textures in the photos.

Elizabeth said...

How sneaky these rolls look without any hint until they're opened that they contain a treasure.

Well done! (I wish my accidents would turn out so beautifully!)

Susan said...

Accidents will happen. ; )

Great shots, Lynne. Your textures and shapes are always BWW excellent.

Thanks for joining!

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.