Monday, February 11, 2013

Banana Ginger Cake with Brown Butter Frosting-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF

There are many recipes for banana bars, cakes and the like, but the brown butter frosting on the banana bars piqued my interest while I browsed Julie's lovely blog,  A Little Bit of Everything. The browned butter enhanced the flavor of the confectioners sugar frosting and was a perfect embellishment for the delicious banana cake. It's group B's reveal day for The Secret Recipe Club. I was given Julie's blog to choose a recipe to make for this day and you can imagine how hard it was to choose a recipe from a blog entitled "A Little Bit of Everything". I was amazed not only at the collection of dishes that Julie has posted, but at her impressive My50 list of recipes she intended on preparing on her blog. 

There wasn't anything I could do to change the banana bar recipe as it was too delicious to fool with. Ginger and bananas have a special affinity, so ground ginger was added to the batter and chopped crystallized ginger decorated each cake square. I give you Julie's tantalizing banana cake-

Banana Ginger Cake with Brown Butter Frosting

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1-3/4 cups ripe bananas, mashed
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cups chopped walnuts (optional)

Brown Butter Frosting

1/2 cup butter
4 cups confectioners sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
Chopped crystallized ginger, optional

For the Cake:
 Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 15x10 jelly roll pan( I used a 9x12). In a large bowl with a mixer, cream sugar and butter until smooth. Add eggs one at at time, mixing well before each addition. Add sour cream, mashed bananas and vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda, salt and ginger. Mix just until flour is incorporated. Stir in walnuts, if using.

Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes (35-40 minutes with a 9x12), or until golden brown. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.

For the Brown Butter Frosting:
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it comes to a boil, swirling occasionally. Allow the butter to turn a delicate shade of brown. Remove from heat.

Add the confectioners sugar, vanilla extract and milk. Whisk together until smooth. It should be thicker than a glaze, but thinner than a frosting. Spread the frosting over the warm bars. Yield 2 dozen (15x10) bars. Sprinkle chopped crystallized ginger over each square, if desired.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Susie Bee said...

Lynne, that cake looks and sounds delicious. What a great flavor combo-banana and ginger!

Susie Bee said...

Lynne, that cake looks and sounds delicious. What a great flavor combo...banana and ginger.

Danielle said...

Banana and ginger - yes please!

SeattleDee said...

The cake looks scrumptious, and your photo is terrific, as usual.

betchacanteatjustone said...

ooooh brown butter frosting is my weakness! This cake looks delicious!

Julie said...

Hi! Thanks for the lovely words about my blog! These are so delicious, one of my favorites. I love everything brown butter!

shelley c. said...

I have never had the combination of banana and ginger, but reading your post and seeing your photos makes me really want to try it. I am pinning this recipe!!

Heather said...

That looks amazing and you have me sold on brown butter frosting! Great SRC choice!

Lynne Daley said...

Susie B-thanks, I love ginger so much that I try to put it in everything I make-so glad it goes well with bananas.
Seattle Dee-thanks, I'm pleased!
betchacanteatjustone-Brown butter is now my weakness too, as I have only used it in savory dishes up unitil now.
Julie-You are very welcome! I am a fan, also!
shelley c.-thanks for the pin-

Jennifer Sikora said...

That brown butter icing looks SO good. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!

Kate said...

Mmmmm...this sounds great! I think that the brown sugar frosting would add another dimension to this combination of flavors...I must give this a try!

colleen said...

I don't think I've paired bananas and ginger. This sounds really good.

Anima Paleo said...

Lynne, this cake looks very good! I have to try pairing banana and ginger.

Anima Paleo said...

Lynne, this cake looks very good! I have to try pairing banana and ginger.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Lynne,
Your Banana Ginger Cake with Brown Butter Frosting looks delicious, we will just love it.
Happy Valentine Day!
Miz Helen
SRC Group B

Jennifer said...

Mmm now I'm hungry for dessert!

Jeannie Tay said...

I like the idea of banana with ginger, sounds like a perfect flavors combo! Looks delicious!

cody said...

Easiest banana cake ever - with perfect results every time!viandes grillées

Carole said...

Lynne, today I'm collecting cake recipes. Please drop me a line on if you are ok with me linking to your post in my blog (Carole's Chatter). Cheers

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.