Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Watermelon Peach Sangria-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF
I've missed a few Secret Recipe Club  postings as I have moved recently and have not had the time to participate in this event, but I'm quite happy to be able to post this month. My blog assignment this month was to pick a recipe from Amy's blog-What's Brewing in the Kitchen. After much deliberation, I chose Red Wine Sangria, a refreshing summer libation, a perfect cooler for our hot summer days here in coastal Georgia.

Passionate about preparing locally grown and seasonal foods, Amy cooks and Zach brews, a match made in culinary heaven. Amy has a collection of cookbooks from which she selects recipes to prepare in addition to using the Food Network Magazine as a source. The sangria comes from the celebrity chef and restauranteur  Jose Andres' book, Made in Spain. A classic sangria using red wine, brandy, vodka, fruit juices and fresh fruit such as apples, etc. Since we are at the height of the peach growing season here in the South and watermelons this summer are about the best I've ever eaten, I just had to add them to my version of the sangria.

Red Wine Sangria

Ingredients

  • 1 bottle fruity red wine, preferably Spanish
  • 5 tablespoons brandy
  • 1/4 cup orange-flavored liqueur, such as Triple Sec
  • 1/4 cup lime-flavored liqueur, such as Limonella
  • 1 stick cinnamon
  • 1 strip of lime zest
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
  • 1 cup sparkling lime water
  • 4 peaches, peeled and sliced
  • Chunks of watermelon to add to sangria and for garnish
  1. In a large pitcher, combine the red wine, brandy, liqueurs, cinnamon stick and lime zest. Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. When ready to serve, stir in the orange juice and sparkling lime water. Add peaches and watermelon. 
  2. Add ice to glasses of choice and pour over the sangria, making sure you get some of the fruit. Garnish with additional chunks of watermelon. Serves 4.
ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

18 comments:

colleen said...

What an interesting twist with the watermelon. Nice idea

Heather said...

I've been looking for a red wine sangria recipe and this one looks perfect! Congrats on the move!

Heather @ Join Us, Pull up a Chair

Judee said...

Wow! that is one delicious looking Sangria. Usually, I only use wine; I love the addition of the other liqueur in it. I'm pinning this one

Close to Home said...

looks amazing, wish I had a glass right now. Stopping by from SRC nutella cookies:)

Heather Lynne said...

Gorgeous! Love the color of this beverage. I am all for sangria and can't wait to give this one a try.

LaPhemmePhoodie said...

Sangria is one of my favorite summer beverages. Love the flavor combinations in this recipe.

Danielle said...

This sounds like a great sangria!

Camille said...

Yum! I've been playing with sangria all summer and I'll have to try this next.

Victoria Challancin said...

Interesting combination of flavors. I love the addition of the watermelon, which I have never had in sangria.

Jayasri Ravi said...

what a lovely photograph, looks absolutely stunning, interesting twist to the watermelon that's the second one I was in SRC today..

veggiegrettie.com said...

I have never been much of a drinker, but when I drink it always tends to be Sangria...this one looks wonderful!

Daniel Saraga said...

I didn't realize that a proper sangria was so complex. Looks very tasty.

Miz Helen said...

Hi Lynne,
Your Sangria looks beautiful and so refreshing, a perfect summertime treat. Great selection for SRC!
Miz Helen
Group B SRC

Chiara Giglio said...

realy lovely combination Lynne !

Sarah said...

I love sangria and you are right, it is just perfect for this weather:) looks excellent

Lisa~~ said...

The color of your sangria is just gorgeous. Wonderful sounding recipe, I'm saving this one.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC entry: Double Chocolate Mousse Cake.

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Fallon said...

YUM That sounds fabulous. I've never had red wine sangria with watermelon before.

Amy said...

Just getting the time to catch up on last week's recipes but I'm so glad you liked it! It reminds me that we haven't made it yet this summer so I'd better fix that ASAP!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.