Sunday, February 19, 2012

A Vegetable Duo-Garlicky Fried Mushrooms and Spinach with Raisins and Pine Nuts-Weekend Herb Blogging #321

Print Friendly and PDF

Two delicious vegetables, mushrooms and spinach, make their appearance in a duo of easy and healthy
Tapas dishes. The garlicky fried mushrooms are a mixture of the common white, or supermarket  mushroom, and baby bella, the diminutive of the portabella mushroom . Serrano ham and garlic add a jolt of flavor to the mushrooms. The quickly cooked fresh spinach is topped with toasted pine nuts and raisins for extra crunch with a chewy sweetness.

While the white mushroom is the more common variety and is readily available fresh in the grocery store, it is actually a younger cousin of the crimini mushroom,  a little older,  brown in color with a slightly fuller flavor due to its age. Mushrooms, as well as spinach are regarded highly in world's healthiest food category. Both are high in antioxidants and vitamins. When buying either mushrooms or spinach, choose the freshest available. A good tip is to check with the produce manager in your grocery store to find out what day the vegetables come into the store.

Garlicky Fried Mushrooms
Serve with crusty bread to sop up the juices or atop grilled bread for an appetizer.

4 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound white or brown mushrooms or a mixture, washed, if desired or wipe clean, stems trimmed and halved if large
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/4 cup diced Serrano ham, or ham of choice
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Grilled or toasted bread

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over high heat. Add mushrooms in a layer stem sides down and cook until golden, about 3 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 2 minutes longer, or until golden.

Add the garlic and the ham, reduce the heat to medium and cook one minute. Add the wine and cook until it has evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the parsley, stir  and season with salt and pepper.

Serve at once with the bread on the side or spooned atop grilled bread. Serves 4 as a main and 8 as part of a small plate meal.

Spinach with Raisins and Pine Nuts

1/4 cup raisins, plumped in hot water for about 30 minutes
1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds spinach, tough stems removed, rinsed and drained
Salt and freshly ground pepper

In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook, turning and stirring constantly with tongs, until just wilted, 3-5 minutes.  Drain the raisins and add to the pan along with toasted pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish and serve warm. Serves 4 as a main or 6 as part of a small plate meal.

Both recipes adapted from Joyce Goldstein's Tapas. This is my entry to WHB #321 of which I am the host of for the week of February 13-19th. Roundup for this event will be posted here on Monday, the 20th.  

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Flavors of the Sun said...

I love the idea of serrano ham with the mushrooms. Yum. Wish I had read this post before I readied my recipes for this weeks class, which has a focus on Spain. Lovely, easy recipes--thanks so much for posting.

Johanna GGG said...

Lovely round up - such lovely dishes - and I must apologise for misleading you re the pesto keeping well with the lid off - I think it kept well because of the good oil but I did keep the lid on - just loved the look when the lid came off :-)

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

What a fabulous dish! A great combination.

Great shots. I really love the texture in that mushroom pic!



Simona said...

I love both mushrooms and spinach. This year, I finally let myself be convinced and planted some spinach in my vegetable garden: we'll see what happens. I really love the top photo, not only the food (it's a good thing I wasn't around: I can eat a lot of vegetables ;) but also the plates and that spoon handle. One day I will fly to Georgia and ask you to go shopping with you: I am sure I'd get some nice things for my table.

Lynne said...

Thanks, Victoria ( Your empanadas look fabulous), Johanna(sorry for the mistake-the green is gorgeous) Rosa ( mushrooms are cool to photograph) and Simona(would love to go shopping with you!)

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.