Pages

Monday, February 13, 2012

Tuscan Coffeecake-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF
Tuscan Coffeecake
The Secret Recipe Club is a group of bloggers and foodies who enjoy preparing recipes from other members blogs. Each member is assigned another member's blog to prepare and post a dish on the selected reveal day for that particular group. It is a secret, hence the moniker. As always, I have a difficult time choosing a recipe amongst all the tantalizing photos of culinary delights. However, after perusing the yeast breads featured by Karen of Karen Cooks, I knew I had at least narrowed it down. Karen prepares many delicious dishes and like myself, she likes to bake breads. The Tuscan Coffeecake with its Italian name caught my eye immediately, so the choice was made. Originally from King Arthur Flour, the cake is chocked full of dried fruit and toasted walnuts-a hearty slightly sweet bread that incorporates a starter to further enhances the flavor and quality of the baked product. Because the dough is a thick heavy one, I used my bread machine to mix and knead, adding the fruit and nuts later in the cycle. If you don't have a bread machine, I suggest using a heavy-duty mixer to knead the dough.

A few words about Karen that I learned while reading her blog-she loves photographing her family, calls her husband-the gardener and has recently set up a gardening blog-Karen Cooks and Gardens, a perfect site for one who loves to cook with fresh herbs and vegetables. Not only a bread aficionado, but also prepares many delicious Mexican and Portuguese dishes. I also made her Chile Verde, but it's in the freezer now awaiting its turn at dinner. The recipe is as it reads on Karen's blog with the exception of one or two substitutions noted in parentheses. I saw no reason to mess with a good thing-so to speak.

Recipe from King Arthur Flour and Karen Cooks

STARTER
1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/2 cup cool water
1/16 teaspoon instant yeast
Mix the starter ingredients in a small (about 1-quart) bowl, and let rest overnight at room temperature.

DOUGH
all of the starter
2/3 cup water
2 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
1 large egg
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons instant yeast
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

FILLING
1 cup toasted walnuts, very coarsely chopped
3/4 cup chopped dates-(I used chopped dried prune plums)
3/4 cup raisins, golden preferred

TOPPING
2 tablespoons sugar (I used Turbinado sugar)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla (I used powdered vanilla)
1 teaspoon water (2 teaspoons of water if using powdered vanilla)
Combine the dough ingredients, mixing and kneading to form a smooth, supple dough. It’ll be very slack; for this reason, I suggest kneading in a bread machine, or with a mixer, rather than by hand. Place the dough in a bowl, and let it rise about 1 hour. It may not double in bulk; that’s OK.

Gently deflate the dough, and knead the nuts and fruit into it. Shape the dough into a flat ball, and place it in a 9-inch round cake pan. Cover the pan with a proof cover or lightly greased plastic wrap, and allow the loaf to rise for 30 minutes, or till it barely crests over the top of the pan.

Combine the sugar, vanilla and water, and drizzle this mixture over the top of the risen coffeecake. Bake it in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 minutes, or until it’s golden brown and the internal temperature registers 190°F. Remove it from the oven, and after 5 minutes, carefully turn it out of the pan. Allow it to cool on a rack. Yield: 1 cake, about 8 to 10 servings.
Tuscan Coffeecake Dip


Leftover coffeecake can be sliced, toasted and spread with cream cheese. Part of a Valentine's tea party, maybe?
TuscanCoffeecakeToast


ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

16 comments:

Karen said...

Beautiful photos! I just love this bread and am glad you did, too! It makes a beautiful gift at Christmastime or Easter.

Daniel Saraga said...

so it's more of a bread than a cake (I noticed the yeast)? It looks incredibly tasty and your photos are excellent.

Thanks for sharing.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

The pictures look amazing! The dates, walnuts and raisins in it, holy cow I'll bet this was awesome!

Flavors of the Sun said...

What a beautiful bread/coffeecake! It looks perfectly cooked and is equally beautiful in color and in black and white.. Nice round-up of other bloggers efforts as well. I can see I need some time to check this out.

Lisa~~ said...

What a beautiful bread and it sounds divine with the fruit and nuts.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A' SRC entry: Crunchy Fudgy Heart Bites

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

ButterYum said...

One word - STUNNING!!!! Seriously, lovely cake and lovely photo! Pinning for sure. I hope you'll stop by to see my SRC Giant Chocolate Toffee Cookies.

http://butteryum.blogspot.com/2012/02/giant-chocolate-toffee-cookies.html

:)
ButterYum

Mary said...

What wonderful photos. I am new to your blog, so I took some time to browse through your earlier posts. I'm so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers you share with your readers and I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Judee @ Gluten Free A-Z said...

That is one beautiful coffee cake, and I love your pics too.
I just switched over to group B so I'm glad to meet you and your blog. Hope you'll come over and visit me.

Fallon said...

That looks fantastic! It looks so doughy and hearty.

A Feast for the Eyes said...

King Arthur Flour is one of my most trusted recipe sources. This is beautiful, just as your food styling is. So nice to find you via the SRC!

Betsy said...

Baking bread always reminds me of my Grandma. This one looks like it would be right up her alley! I'm stopping by from SRC but I'd love if you check our my new site seasonalpotluck.com February is oranges month so if you have any orange recipes, we'd love if you'd link up! http://bit.ly/zDoNfx

Lynne said...

Thanks so much everyone for commenting on the Tuscan Coffeecake. It is as Daniel said more of a bread and i'm not sure why mine rose so high as I made the recipe exactly like Karen. It's unbelievably delicious warm from the oven, but after a few days dries out some, so would be a good candidate for toast or maybe a bread pudding-not sure. I have looked at all your lovely posts and would love to make any and all of your recipes.
Thanks, Lynne

Sarah said...

looks super delish, I love coffee cakes:)

Kristy Lynn said...

agreed. your photographs look beautiful.

Jen @ Peanut Butter and Peppers said...

Oh my your Coffeecake looks amazing!!!

Avril said...

What a beautiful coffee cake! It looks absolutely delicious!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.