Saturday, November 12, 2011

Tervis Tumbler-Ginger Orange Beer

Print Friendly and PDF

As part of the Foodbuzz Tastemaker Program, I  recently received the Tervis Tumbler to try out in my home. A microwave, dishwasher and freezer safe  unbreakable tumbler that has a lifetime guarantee-just what I needed to have in my busy kitchen. In jest, I'm accused of constantly having either a glass of iced tea, water or a hot beverage in my hand throughout the day. The Tervis Tumbler seemed to be the perfect vessel for me! Thanks to both companies for giving me the opportunity to try this product.

Last year, I made a  non-alcoholic ginger beer, a refreshing spicy, not-too-sweet cold beverage made from fresh ginger root, brown sugar, lime zest and juice. It was so popular in my house that I wanted to make it again with a different twist. The juice and zest of a large navel orange stood in for one of the limes and while the orange didn't vastly change the flavor of the ginger beer, there was a delightful sparkle to the finished drink. 

Ginger Beer

4 ounces fresh ginger, coarsely chopped-no need to peel
1 lime, zest and juice
1 large navel orange, zest and juice
2 whole cloves
1 cup light brown sugar
Soda, tonic water, or sparkling mineral water

In the bowl of a food processor, process ginger until grated. Remove to a large heatproof pitcher or measuring cup. Add both lime and orange zest and juices, cloves and brown sugar.  Add 4 cups boiling water, then stir until the sugar dissolves. Cool, strain, then chill.  To serve,  half-fill glasses with the ginger beer and top off with the soda, tonic water or sparkling mineral water.  Garnish with lime and orange slices. Top with a maraschino cherry. Serves 4.

Tervis Tumbler was received as part of the Foodbuzz Tastemakers program and Tervis Tumblers. My opinion is my own.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Gemma Olivia said...

Ehi! I've just discovered your blog and I've fallen in love with it!

Victoria Challancin said...

I love all things ginger. And even bottled ginger ale is comfort food for me. But this looks wonderful. Refreshing and easy. Will definitely be trying this one.

Gourmet Getaways said...

Very nice! The Ginger Orange Beer sounds really interesting too, especially for us coming into Summer!

I will have to sign up for the Foodbuzz tester program ;)

Chiara said...

It's perfect for me!I love it!have a good day...

Nancy @ A Rural Journal said...

I'm usually carrying around a diet soda -- so I can relate to what you are saying. The tumbler looks interesting -- is it very expensive?

I use crystallized ginger for upset stomach -- but have never tried ginger beer. Does it taste like ginger ale?

Lynne said...

Thanks, Gemma Olivia-nice to have you.
Victoria Challancin-I'm an avid ginger fan, too. You will love this beverage-so refreshing.
Gourmet Getaways-You will enjoy it in your summer season-thanks.
Chiara-Great-hope you will enjoy making this.Thanks
Nancy-don't think it's very expensive-can be bought at Bed Bath and Beyond from what I've seen or on the website. It's not effervescent like ginger ale, but with the sparkling water, it becomes somewhat fizzy.

Christine's Pantry said...

Sounds good.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.