Monday, September 19, 2011

Hearty Corn Chowder-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF

It's that time again for the Secret Recipe Club reveal day! It's exciting to be assigned to another food blog and go through the process of choosing a recipe to make for  the event.  AndiWinslow, author of The Wednesday Baker lives in Maine, loves  flower and vegetable gardening, cooking for her family and most of all, loves to bake with sugar she says she is addicted to. Her blog posts are filled with gorgeous photos of the sweets she bakes for her family and friends. I plan on baking many of them, but Fall is in the air and I am in a soup mood! A hearty, chunky and delicious looking Corn Chowder redolent with the flavor of crisp bacon and onions caught my eye while perusing the soups section. 

Corn Chowder
  • 6-8 slices of  slab bacon
  •  2 medium onions, finely chopped
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
  • 2 cans creamed corn, or homemade
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained, or 2-3 cups frozen corn
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 cups half and half 
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • Fresh or dried parsley, optional
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  1. In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon slices until crisp. Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. When cooled, break into pieces. Reserve.
  2. Saute the onions over medium heat in the bacon fat until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. 
  3. Add the chopped potatoes and chicken broth. Cook 6-8 minutes until potatoes are done, but not too soft.
  4. Add the creamed corn, whole corn, milk, half and half and seasonings. Reduce heat and cook about 10 minutes. Swirl in the butter and add the reserved crisp bacon.
  5. While the corn chowder is delicious just made, the flavors meld after a day in the refrigerator. 
  6. Makes about 6 servings.

Please do not use images or text without my permission.


Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

Everything's better with bacon! This looks fabulous!

Kristen said...

That corn chowder looks so hearty and delicious. I am ready for fall weather and soup time!!

Miz Helen said...

This looks like a great recipe. It is fun cooking with you in the SRC. Hope you are having a great day and thanks for sharing!
Miz Helen

Erin said...

This looks wonderful! Perfect now that the weather is cooling down! Great pick!

Lisa~~ said...

This recipe looks and sounds just wonderful and perfect now that the cooler weather is upon us.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my group "A" SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

Cook Lisa Cook

Heather said...

MMM looks delicious! I'll need to get some corn before the season is over and try this out!

AndiWinslow said...

Thank you Lynn, So since you are a great cook I was hoping you would change/add something and you didn't. I would like to try another recipe for corn chowder, this was my mothers and it is the only way I have ever made it. But it needs to sit for a day to blend those flavors. I love your blog I had a list with about 10 things to make. Your meatballs/spaghetti is great. Had another dinner with them tonight. thanks, andi

Jo said...

Your chowder looks delicious! I am happy to have soup weather back, this is one of my favorites to make.

Rituparna said...

This chowder looks yummyilicious.Full of all the goodness this will fill the tummy & warm the heart.

Dan said...

what a hearty looking soup. It must really keep you warm inside.

A Pretty Life in the Suburbs said...

Mmm! I love corn chowder and this recipe looks so good! I love anything with bacon!

Desi said...

Oh my that looks like a bowl of comfort right there! Love that steam rising off the top!

Check out my SRC post for Molten Lava Cakes if you like :)

Amy said...

Yum! Looks great -- I'm loving SRC, so many new recipes to try! I'm keeping this in mind for when the weather turns cold here.

Amy said...

What kind of potatoes did you use?

I'd love it if you'd stop by my SRC post for Turkey Sloppy Joes!

Pretend Chef said...

Bacon is in the ingredient list, I'm sold. This soup looks so delicious and comforting. Perfect soup for the change of seasons. Great recipe pick for SRC. Have a great day.

Julie said...

Corn Chowder is one of my favorite soups! This looks so delicious. Visiting from SRC!


Just pinned this recipe. I will be trying it out soon!

And thank you for being a part of the SRC with me (group b). I am excited and looking forward to next month too!

Here is what I posted this month: Pioneer Woman's Chicken Pot Pie

Vivian - Let's Try These... said...

you have a lovely blog. Thanks for being part of the SRC

BigBearswife said...

I love corn chowder! Looks great

marla said...

Total comfort the soup :) Fun being in the Secret Recipe Club with you. I baked up tarts this month for Group C

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.