Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Flip-Over Plum Cake-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF

A pleasing cross between a cake and a pudding, Dorie's Flip-Over Plum Cake is one comfort cake that  will definitely appear over and over again on your family table or to serves guest. Not a fancy cake, but   the exotic flavors of the ubiquitous cinnamon, the peppy fragrant ginger and the lemony tones of ground coriander marry well with the diminutive Italian prune plum.  The smaller Italian prune plum, a lovely dark purple when ripe, is the plum of choice here, however, any stone fruit would work equally as well. The Flip-Over Plum cake can be assembled and put in the oven to cook while you prepare and serve dinner. Once out of the oven, allow it to cool slightly, then spoon out into individual bowls. No need to gild the lily, but a big scoop of vanilla ice cream would be delicious.

Usually I have my list of ingredients with me when I grocery shop, but this time, I had only quickly glanced at the recipe, so didn't realize I needed two pounds of the plums instead of the one pound.Since there are only two of us at home, I halved the recipe and after looking  through my stash of dried fruits  found a partial package of dried tart cherries to add to the mix-(1/2 cup added to the pound of sliced plums).  The cherries were fabulous paired with the plums giving the pudding a nice tangy chew.  Now I have another favorite to add to the growing list!

Becky of Project Domestication has the recipe on her blog or you can find it on page 42 of Baking From My Home to Yours. Next week, Katrina of Baking and the Boys has chosen Apple Nut Muffin Cake on page 37. 

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Flourchild said...

Im glad it's another fav. for you! WE loved it over at my house! It's something I will make again and try all sorts of different fruits!

Nicole said...

Mine looks different, mine is thinner overall. I think next time I would make it in a smaller pan so my cake layer wouldn't be so skinny.

Rachel said...

Your cake looks amazing! I bet the cherries were a great addition!

Cindy said...

I like the addition of dried cherries. I had never baked with plums. What a wonderful surprise. I will make this again. It was delicious.

Lauren said...

Looks gorgeous! I love plums so much and the use of coriander sounds so fascinating; I've never tried it with dessert before.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.