Pages

Monday, August 22, 2011

Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Brisket with Chipotle Dressing-Secret Recipe Club

Print Friendly and PDF


As much as I love using my grill or smoker to cook beef briskets, I can barely stand it outside with the sun beating down on me and the sweat pouring off my face. Enter the slow cooker-with only ten minutes prep time and 8-9 hours slowly simmering and permeating the meat with the flavors of onion, bay leaves, garlic, serrano chilies, black pepper corns and kosher salt-it's ready and I'm cool and collected.

My mission with the Secret Recipe Club was to choose a dish from Daily Dish Recipes.  Nicole is a busy mother of 5 human children and 4 four-legged children  accomplished in just about everything, including scrap-booking, photography, writing and cooking up healthy tasty dishes for her family. Choosing a recipe from her blog wasn't difficult. She convinced me on the first sentence of her post-"With warmer weather and higher humidity---using my stove top or oven is something I avoid at all cost". Of the three slow cooker recipes mentioned, I chose the Crock Pot Shredded Beef on a Bun. What-you don't see a bun? Well, I can't help messing with recipes, so adapted it to make a Tex-Mex shredded beef taco with chipotle dressing served in flour tortillas and topped with red onions, radishes, avocados, crumbled queso fresco, cilantro. But you can serve the shredded beef on a toasted bun topped with coleslaw-delicious, too!

For the Brisket

1 large onion, chopped
10 black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
3 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 serrano chiles, coarse dice
2 teaspoons kosher salt
5 pounds trimmed beef brisket, preferably the flat half
1 cup beef bouillon

For the Chipotle Dressing
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
1 7-ounce can chipotles en adobo

TO COOK THE BRISKET: In the slow cooker, put the chopped onions, peppercorns, bay leaves, garlic, chiles, salt and pepper. Place the brisket on top and pour over the beef bouillon. Cover and cook 8-9 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high, or until very tender.

Transfer brisket to a cutting board. Reserve the cooking liquid. Discard any fat from the brisket and using forks shred the meat. Cut these shreds into manageable pieces. Place in a large bowl. Moisten with about 1/2 cup cooking liquid to moisten.

FOR THE CHIPOTLE DRESSING: Drain the can of chipotles en adobo, reserving liquid and chipotles. In a blender, pulse the, liquid from the chipotles en adobo, olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper. Add chipotles to taste and puree again. Chipotles are  dried red jalapenos processed in a seasoned tomato puree, so are hot. Try one chipotle, puree and taste. If desired, add more. Remaining chipotles en adobo can be frozen.

Add a little dressing to the meat to moisten further. Place the meat on a serving platter lined with lettuce leaves. To serve, place meat in a flour tortilla and top with sliced radishes, avocados, red onion, cilantro, crumbled queso fresco and lime slices. Drizzle extra chipotle dressing over, if desired
Brisket and Chipotle Dressing adapted from Fine Cooking Magazine.



ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

17 comments:

Andrea {From the Bookshelf} said...

This looks wonderful! What a great pick!

Dan said...

I have yet to make a shredded meat dish using my slow-cooker. It's on my to-do list and seeing something as yummy as this gives me inspiration! Great job.

Barefeet In The Kitchen said...

These look delicious! I clicked through from the SRC club link and I really like your site. Your photos are lovely. I am happily following you now!

Lisa~~ said...

I am going to make this, it sounds wonderful.

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my Group 'A" ~ SRC recipe this month: Cilantro Lime Chicken

Lisa~~
Cook Lisa Cook

Noelle said...

I saved this for future use! Looks so scrumptious!

Rachel said...

That sounds absolutely delicious! The pics are gorgeous and it's hotter than hades here, too.

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy said...

This totally looks like my kind of meal!! I love everything about it, thanks!

AndiWinslow said...

What a nice blog you have, pictures are beautiful and a lovely meal on top of that. Thanks, andi

thewednesdaybaker.blogspot.com

amanda @ fake ginger said...

I love my slow cooker too! I can't wait to try this - I know my husband and kids will go nuts over it!

Peggy said...

Now this is my kind of taco! Sounds incredible =)

Tina @ MOMS CRAZY COOKING said...

I LOVE using my crock-pot!

Thanks again for being a part of SRC, I enjoyed being your host! I finished linky everyone and organizing and now I get to visit everyone's blog, THIS IS THE FUN PART!

Come check out my Secret Recipe Club Post: Cucumber Salad http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/cucumber-salad-secret-recipe-club.html

or my second post for the SRC Raspberry and Nutella Pizza
http://momscrazycooking.blogspot.com/2011/08/raspberry-nutella-pizza-secret-recipe.html

Nicole @ the Daily Dish said...

So excited you made this from my blog. Your version looks really good, and I think we might try it this weekend.
Your blog is beautiful, your photos are delicious and I'm happy I can now follow you! :)
Have a great week.

Glenda Embree/ Busy-at-Home said...

It looks delicious! So glad to be in SRC with you!

Julie said...

I love slow cooker meat dishes! The dressing has great flavors.

Pretend Chef said...

This looks so delicious. What a great SRC pick. I've owned a slow cooker for 4 1/2 years now and it has never seen the light of day. This would be the perfect recipe for changing that. Yummy!

Amy said...

Sounds (and looks) totally delicious!!! SRC is turning out to be so much fun — lots of new recipes to try!

marla said...

This is the prefect family dinner! We love brisket.
Stopping by from group C. Fun to be in the Secret Recipe Club with you. Here is my link for August, would love if you stopped by to say *hi* http://su.pr/1Sizv9

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.