Monday, July 18, 2011

Macaroon Shortbread Coconut Tart

Print Friendly and PDF

This is my first post for The Secret Recipe Club, the brainstorm of Amanda Formaro of Amanda's Cookin. Each month, one is assigned to another blogger's site, also a  member of the Secret Recipe club. The object is to choose a recipe from the assigned blogger and either prepare it as written or modify the recipe to suit your tastes. Sounds pretty cool to me. I was assigned to The Café Sucré Farine authored by Chris. Quite frankly, I was totally blown away by all the delicious, colorful and tantalizing dishes created by Chris. My task was quite difficult as I would love to make each and every recipe, but I had to to choose just one!

My girls were visiting this past week and the two of the five year old grandchildren were attending the University of Georgia Marine Science Camp on Skidaway Island, near Savannah, Georgia. In the past when I made desserts for my girls, I remembered how much they loved coconut. My decision was made when while perusing The Cafe Sucré Fariné, I found an amazing Coconut Macaroon Tart with a Shortbread Crust.

Here is my version with only minor changes- See note

Coconut Macaroon Tart with a Shortbread Crust

Coconut Macaroon Tart with a Shortbread Crust

1 -1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup (8 ounces) butter, melted
¼ cup milk
¼ cup  all-purpose flour
1 -1/2 cups shredded coconut
2 tablespoons coconut rum

Short Bread Crust
1/2 cup (8 ounces) butter, melted
¼ cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt

Blend butter with sugar until well mixed. Add salt and flour. Spread shortbread crust into bottom of spring form pan and one inch on sides. A spatula makes it easier to spread the crust around the spring form pan.

Beat sugar, eggs and salt until mixture is lemon colored. Add butter and flour – blend well. Add milk. Fold in ½ cup of coconut. Stir in coconut rum. Pour into crust. Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup of coconut over the top and bake 325 for about 50-60 minutes. Cool 5-10 minutes before running a sharp knife around the edges of the spring form pan. Serve warm with fresh fruit.

This was an amazing dessert! There were no leftovers at all! A definite keeper in my repertoire! Thanks, Chris.

Note:The original recipe called for 1 cup shredded coconut-1/2 cup in the batter and 1/2 cup for the topping. I increased the 1/2 for to topping to 3/4 cup. For the batter, I added the 2 tablespoons of coconut rum for a more intense coconut flavor.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Foodiva said...

I love all things coconut so this tart is just my kind of dessert! I can imagine there'd be nothing left of this loveliness when your girls came to visit :-).

amanda @ fake ginger said...

LOVE the addition of coconut in the crust. I bet that was unbelievable!

The Procrastobaker said...

This looks incredible! Literally my perfect dessert, and i have coconut rum on hand ive been dying to cook with! If i make it i will let you know for sure :)

The Café Sucré Farine said...

Thank you for the kind words about The Café Sucré Farine! You did a wonderful job with the coconut tart, I love your adaptations. It's been fun to see the creativeness of all of these bloggers! You have a wonderful blog - I actually have been looking at it for at least a year now. Thanks again, Chris

Shelby said...

This sounds right up my alley - I love all things coconut. :)

Kate said...

Amazing!! There isn't anything in this wonderful dessert that I don't like. To die for...yummy! Awesome photo too. SRC is great.

Heather said...

I'm not a big coconut fan, but this looks pretty good! I featured one of your Thirsty Thursday drink recipes today on my blog for the SRC. I hope you enjoyed my recipe and photos :)

Lisa~~ said...

Oh my this looks delicious!

If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Holy Guacamole.

Cook Lisa Cook

Sara said...

This tart looks soooooo yummy! Love all the coconut! :)

Gloria said...

Look amazing!! gloria

Gloria said...

your pictures are georgeous, love them! gloria

Amy said...

I'm a huge coconut fan...thanks for posting!

Glad to be part of SRC with you!

Amy @ A Little Nosh

Anne @ Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy said...

Oooh I love the idea of a shortbread crust, especially combined with coconut... yum!

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.