Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Ginger Sour Cream Scones with Homemade Fig Jam-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF

Had I prepared for this edition of Tuesdays with Dorie, I might have had time to search for  chestnut flour. Great job, Andrea, buying it ahead of time! However, because it supposedly has a very subtle flavor, I wasn't worried about substituting another flour for it. What really bothered me was the fact that I always keep heavy cream on hand, but somehow over the last few weeks, I did not replenish what I had used. So I was down to considering sour cream as a replacement. I realized that I would have to use 1/2 teaspoon baking soda to balance out the acidity, but I wasn't sure if that's all I needed to do. Luckily, I think they turned out okay. I love ginger, so chopped  about 1/2 cup crystallized ginger to add to the mixture, then sprinkled some of the sugar from the ginger on top before baking.

With a pint of fresh figs bought just yesterday from my local farmers market, I made a small batch fig jam to serve with the scones. The jam was superb dolloped on top of the sliced scones. If I only had some whipped cream, the scones and jam would make a delicious dessert, reminiscent of a shortcake.

Thanks to Andrea of Andrea in the Kitchen for her pick this Tuesdays with Dorie. Check out her blog for the recipe and some great tips on successfully making tender, flaky scones. Also, the Tuesdays with Dorie website for other variations on the chestnut scones.


The Café Sucré Farine said...

Lynne, Wow what a flavor combination!! I love anything with figs and am excited that they are in season! Yum!

Lynne said...

Thanks, Chris. Fresh figs are unbeatable!

marla {family fresh cooking}a said...

This looks so delicious! Your blog is wonderful, so happy I found you. Must get my hand on some figs.

Pam said...

Scones are always a favorite of mine. The combination of giner and sour cream with the figs makes these sound absolutely wonderful.

Reem said...

This looks awesome!! I recently found your blog and it is wonderful. Wonderful flavors, fresh figs really sounds luscious here.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.