Pages

Sunday, July 03, 2011

Blackberry-Lime Freezer Jam

Print Friendly and PDF

A super easy and fresh tasting blackberry-lime freezer jam that is not only delicious on biscuits, toast and other breads, but doubles as a topping for ice cream or a filling for a cake. My summer seems complete when I can readily buy the juicy plump blackberries from a farm stand just down the road from me. To date, I have made blackberry crisp, blackberry frozen yogurt and have numerous bags of the tantalizing berries that I know will bring summer back to me in the form of a warm from the oven blackberry cobbler even on the coldest days this coming winter. 

Originally, I had planned on a blackberry port jam which required processing the jars in a water bath, but as I was packing to go to Kiawah Island for a week, time just ran out on me. The blackberry-lime freezer jam took no time at all to make. The recipe comes from a Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication-Canning-"120 ways to savor the season year round".  A treasure trove of delicious ways to preserve  summer produce. I only wish I had time to prepare all the chutneys, preserves, salsas and jams that are in this magazine.

Blackberry-Lime Freezer Jam

(Makes 4-6 half-pints)
5-1/4 cups granulated sugar
3 cups fresh blackberries, crushed
Finely grated lime peel from 1 lime
1-1.75-ounce package regular powdered fruit pectin
3/4 cup water

  1. Place crushed blackberries in a large bowl, add sugar and lime peel. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. In a small saucepan, stir pectin into the water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add to blackberry mixture; stir about 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves and mixture is not grainy. (See Note)
  3. Ladle jam into half-pint freezer containers. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours before storing. Store for up to 3 weeks in refrigerator or for up to 1 year in the freezer.
Note-I placed my bowl over a pan of warm water while stirring to ensure that the sugar had dissolved.




ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That is a fabulous creation! I love limes and blackberries.

Cheers,

Rosa

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.