Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Maple-Cornmeal Drop Biscuits

Print Friendly and PDF

Drop biscuits were probably created by accident around 1850 when a pioneer cook put too much milk in her biscuit dough and therefore, had to use a spoon to drop the dough onto the pan instead of rolling and cutting the dough. That's just my theory, however, but I remember when my grandma was in a hurry, we got drop biscuits instead of her traditional ones. These maple cornmeal drop biscuits are indeed a "cross between a featherlight cornbread and a flaky scone". Using stone ground cornmeal gives these slightly sweet biscuits a sandy, rustic texture which adds to its appeal. Perfect slathered with sweet cream butter and served with a large dollop of cherry preserves, these biscuits are best enjoyed the same day they are made. I like them split, buttered and toasted as my grandma used to make.

Thanks to Lindsey of A Little Something....Sweet for choosing a super easy, but delicious recipe for TWD. The recipe is on her blog or, if you have the book "Baking From My Home to Yours", it's on page 24.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Nicole said...

Your photos are always so beautiful! Your biscuits do look light and fluffy and great with butter and jam. Mine were baked to long and not fluffy, but they had good flavor.

cakeflower said...

I'm glad you liked the choice. Yours look great! Thanks for baking along with me.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.