Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

Pancetta Green Beans-French Fridays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF

From the Italian word pancia meaning belly, pancetta is very similar to bacon. The pork belly is rubbed with salt and spices, then cured for several weeks. Pancetta can be bought as straight pancetta with the rind and generous fat layer still attached; or what I'm more used to buying, rolled pancetta with the rind and some of the fat removed, then tightly rolled as in salami. While pancetta is very similar to bacon and sometimes called Italian bacon, it isn't usually smoked. At the deli, I ask for slices of pancetta around 1/2-inch thick so I can dice or chop the pancetta accordingly, but I also buy it pre-packaged in thin slices for recipes that call for the pancetta to be wrapped around a meat or vegetable. Pancetta adds incredible flavor to these usually mundane green beans. 

Pancetta Green Beans make a colorful and delicious accompaniment to a sizzlingly hot grilled steak, pork or chicken.  The beans are available year round, prep and cooking time are short and the beans can be served hot or at room temperature. The recipe comes from Dorie Greenspan's recent top selling cookbook Around My French Table is the pick of French Fridays with Dorie, a group dedicated to cook every recipe in this wonderful book of French family cooking. If you would like this recipe, buy the book and or join the fun. 






ALL CONTENT © CAFE LYNNYLU
Please do not use images or text without my permission. 

8 comments:

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

So pretty, Lynne! Weren't these just the perfect side dish? :)

slongcoat said...

What a beautiful picture!

Flourchild said...

Great greenbeans! I never thought I would put a post on my bog about Greenbeans!HA! It just shows how amazing Dorie is!!

Cher said...

Very lovely photo! This was a wonderful way to bring life to beans that weren't quite at their peak. I am sure that it will be even more delightful once they are in season.

Denise said...

Beautiful photo, Lynn, and nice write up on pancetta ;-)

tricia s. said...

Great post ! I loved the info on pancetta and was already loving your blog header and bean photo. What a lovely blog you have.

onewetfoot said...

Such a lovely photo! I liked that you included a nice description of pancetta, too.

Lana said...

We loved the dish! I made Chicken Francese, farfalle with garlic aioli, and soup, but this dish stole the show.
I love your photo, Lynn!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.