Friday, February 04, 2011

Basque Potato Tortilla-French Fridays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
Just talking to my daughter over the phone raving about the Basque Potato Tortilla- that she has just got to make this delicious concoction of seasoned potatoes, onions and eggs cooked omelet style then run under the broiler to finish cooking the eggs! It blew me away when she said she made a similar tortilla last week! This was my first, but won't be my last. It's super easy and one probably has all the ingredients sitting around in the fridge or the pantry. Although there were many variations of the tortilla listed in the sidebar, I stuck with the basic recipe only adding crumbled, crispy cooked bacon to the mix. Not only is the tortilla great warm, but just as wonderful served cold as an appetizer with a glass of Sangria, tapas style. I'm constantly on the search for sturdy picnic fare. The tortilla would make delicious picnic food!

A seasoned cast iron frying pan is the perfect vessel to cook the tortilla in, specifically a 9-10-inch one with oven proof handles. I have at least 5 iron frying pans and assorted other cast iron items, but none was the right size, so I used the pan you see in the photo. If you are interested in the recipe for the Basque Potato Tortilla, by all means buy Around My French Table by Dorie Greenspan. If you are willing to cook along with French Fridays with Dorie, check out it out here. I love the book- can't wait to cook all the recipes.

Please do not use images or text without my permission. 


Beth said...

Lynne great idea for picnic fare. Your photos are so pretty. Loved the post. B:)

amanojaku said...

I love your site, It is a pleasure to visit.
I have added your site to my site.
Please link my site to your site.
Thank you!

Lael Hazan @educatedpalate said...

I love cast iron frying pans and adore using them. I just don't adore cleaning them so they sit in my cabinet. Thank you for reminding me to take them out for a little "loving"

Beth said...

That looks delicious. It sounds like a really versatile recipe. I especially love the idea of taking it on a picnic!

Lynne said...

Beth-thanks-can't wait for warm weather so I can picnic!
Beth-thanks-there are many option, it seems and they all sound delicious.

Lynne said...

Lael-know what you mean about cleaning them, Mine sit in front of all my other pans, so I tend to use them more often.

Cher said...

Nice photos & post. Picnic season sounds divine!

Lizzy said...

Mmmmmm...I loved mine cold, too...great idea to use as a picnic dish :)

Flourchild said...

wow it look sooo good! How cool your daughter made something similar to this! It's such a good recipe and I liked eating it cold!

jenious said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Your photos are gorgeous & scrumptious. Cheers!

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.