Pages

Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Not-Just-For-Thanksgiving Cranberry Shortbread Cake-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF Cranberry  Shortbread Cake

Fresh cranberry season is upon us, but the season is short, so buying several packages of cranberries to freeze is prudent. Then you can make this divine shortbread cake filled with a orange flavored cranberry jam that's super easy to prepare. The fresh cranberry jam can be made up to 2 weeks ahead and the shortbread cake dough can be refrigerated overnight. If you are not a cranberry fan, caramelized apples, applesauce, apple butter or your favorite fruit preserve sub in beautifully.

Cranberries play a prominent and historical role at Thanksgiving in the USA. Calling the red berries, "sassamanash", the North American Indians possibly introduced the cranberries to the starving colonists in Massachusetts who incorporated the berry into the feast of Thanksgiving, a celebration of survival. Cranberries are primarily grown in cooler climates in the USA and Canada. The berries are harvested in the fall, usually late September or early October when they turn crimson red. Although the fields are flooded to harvest the cranberries, they aren't grown in water, but are kept very wet by irrigation. Source. When I think of cranberries, I always think of a Martha Stewart show I saw years ago showing the "doyenne of domesticity" wading around the cranberry bogs enlightening her viewers on the harvesting of cranberries.

Jessica of Singleton in the Kitchen chose this seasonally appropriate recipe for the baking group. With all the great desserts out there for Thanksgiving, it has become quite a task making a choice for the big feast day! Jessica has this cranberry shortbread cake recipe on her blog or if you have "Baking From My Home to Yours" by Dorie Greenspan, look on page 208-209.

Enjoy!
Lynne

9 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Your cake is so beautiful.

Next time I make this, I'm going to use strawberries.

Mary said...

Yours looks so pretty with the garnish--is that candied ginger? I think I remember that Martha episode! I used raspberries this time around, but I'm sure I'll make this again.
:)

Karen said...

I love the bit of history on cranberries! Your photo makes my mouth water! :)

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful, Lynne! :)

cindy said...

Lynn, your cake is beautiful! I love cranberries and find every excuse I can to bake with them. Have a wonderful day.

Tia said...

i like your ginger topping! nice touch.

Jessica said...

Your cake is just gorgeous. I thought (personally) that it was kind of hard to pretty up this cake but you made it very elegant with the ginger and dried cranberries. And, oh, the doyenne of domesticity -- I remember that episode! I loved your post; thanks for the bit of background -- I found it very interesting. I'm glad you enjoyed this, and thank you SO much for baking along with me this week!

Beth said...

What a beautiful dessert, and perfect for this time of year. I might give it a try with caramelized apples.

Kay Heritage said...

Whoa! How beautiful is that, Lynne!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.