Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Hachis Parmentier-French Fridays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
The equivalent of the English cottage or shepherd's pie, hachis parmentier is prepared much the same, but instead of using minced beef or lamb, chunks of boneless beef are boiled with aromatics, drained, chopped, then combined with a saute of spicy or sweet sausage and tomato paste. This moist filling is placed in a casserole dish with a top layer of mashed potatoes, Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. The casserole comes out of the oven golden brown and bubbling. On my visits to England, I always order the cottage pie if it is on the menu. Most often, the flavor varies along with the choice of meat. Just recently, I had a cottage pie made with lamb and minced beef-do you call that a Shepherd's Cottage Pie? It seems the pie can be whatever you want it to be. Instead of boiling the beef, I cooked mine in the slow cooker with less water than the recipe called for. By the way, if you would like the recipe, I suggest you buy the book, "Around My French Table" by Dorie Greenspan. Exciting French recipes gathered over the years by Dorie, not haute cuisine, but delicious comfort food you would serve your family and friends.


An easier version of the pie made with ground or minced beef is posted on the sidebar. I imagine it's just as good and less work. If you are interested in joining the French Fridays with Dorie group, you can find more information here. It's a fairly loose group with no requirements for joining except buying the book.

6 comments:

Clivia said...

Gorgeous presentation! I never thought about using the slow cooker for this, but that would certainly be simpler than watching it all afternoon.

t.t. @ spoonables said...

Your photographs are GORGEOUS--so much so that I had to post a comment, something I don't do too often. I could devour that hachis parmentier. Very inspiring.

Kay Heritage said...

Wow, this looks fabulous, Lynne! Great comfort food for cool fall weather! And thank you for your kind comment on my blog posts! :)

Jencrafted said...

Lynn, your dish looks absolutely delicious and your Fall photos exude such warmth and comfort. Great photo styling and shots, as always. Thanks for sharing.

Beth said...

This looks delicious! I think Dorie's come up with another winner of a cookbook.

Kris Ngoei said...

This delicious food and beautifully taken photos are no doubt convince me to look into buying the book :-)

Sawadee from Bangkok,
Kris

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.