Thursday, September 30, 2010

Thirsty Thursday-Lager & Lime

Print Friendly and PDF
Celebrating my upcoming trip to my beloved England, this Thirsty Thursday features a drink that I often order at a pub in England when I'm not enjoying a local cider. Many of the beers are too hearty for my taste, but a lager is a crisper, lighter beer with a brighter flavor. When Rose's lime juice, plus freshly squeezed lime juice is added, the lager is transformed into a lovely lime flavored light beer, perfect with the ubiquitous fish and chip  meal or a Ploughman's Lunch, composed of a thick piece of  Stilton, Cheddar or a local speciality ,  Branston Pickle. and a hunk of crusty homemade bread.  There are many brands of lagers available so pick one, buy some fresh limes and a bottle of Rose's Lime Juice and you're ready to go!

Lager & Lime

1 teaspoon Rose's Lime Juice
1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice
8 ounce bottle lager
lime slice for garnish

In a chilled beer glass, combine the two limes juices. Pour in the cold lager and garnish with a lime slice. Makes 1 drink.


Rossella said...

Great mix. I didn't know about that combination of flavour in UK.
In Austria there is Radler, a mix of lager and lemon juice. It born along Danube a day that there wasn't enough beer for bycicle riders.

Jencrafted said...

I'm not a big fan of beers either but this lager-lime sounds refreshingly light. Reminds me of Anchor beer - not sure if you've heard of it or had it; less like a beer, more like a soda. Thanks for sharing! And how exciting that you'll be visiting England. Can't wait to see your photos. They'll be fabulous, I'm sure.

Lynne said...

Thanks, Rossella. The Radler sounds very similar.
Jencrafted-I agree-this drink is much lighter than normal beer.

Leanne said...

Unfortunately, as popular as Larger is, it's a European thing and DEFINATLY not an English thing. Ale, stout and bitter are all English beverages. But it's a lovely idea all the same and I'll be sure to try it out :)

Lynne said...

Leanne-thanks for your comment. Lager may be a European thing, but I stand my ground that Lager and Lime is an English drink. However, a little discourse is welcomed.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.