Pages

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Italian Inspired Grape Upside Down Cake

Print Friendly and PDF
It's a bit early for fresh cranberries to show up in the grocery store, but I usually buy a few extra packages each fall for the many recipes that call for cranberries. However, I had already used up my stash. The nectarine substitution was tempting, but I had some extra red grapes left over from a  mosto cotto that I was making at the same time. Why not use them? I have used grapes successfully in other desserts like this grape schiacciata that I posted  awhile back. The red grapes worked wonderfully well in this upside down cake scented with cinnamon. I held my breath when I turned the cake out on the serving dish, but the grapes held fast.  I'll make this again with the grapes and with the cranberries when I see them in the grocery store.  This upside down cake was a wonderful fall dessert pick from Sabrina of SuperfluouslySabrina who has the recipe on her blog. Looking forward to seeing what other TWD bakers have done with this easy, yet divine dessert? Check out the TWD blogroll.

12 comments:

Natalie said...

I love the big grapes, too! Beautiful. :)

Tia said...

Wow, I would never have thought to do grape. Looks great! I did a White Peach version.

Clivia said...

I've never baked with grape. But your photo looks wonderful. I can imagine the rich taste. Lovely!

Flourchild said...

Im glad you enjoyed the recipe. Your grape idea sounds great to me! I used cherries and loved it!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

It's gorgeous! I'd never think to use grapes, but I'd love to now!! :)

cindy said...

I would never have thought to use grapes. It looks delicious, another variety to try! Beautiful photo. Your blog is eye candy!

Jeannette said...

what a fun variation! it looks so fancy and beautiful!

Paula said...

Like Clivia, I have never baked with grapes. Would give anything to taste your cake.

Carolyn Jung said...

This looks amazing, what with the cake's every inch studded with about-to-burst plump grapes. A great idea to use them in this recipe. ;)

Jencrafted said...

This is awesome! I haven't made this yet but after all the rave reviews from other TWD-ers, I think I should just make one using the grapes from our yard. I really like your version. Thanks!

Chiara said...

wow ! It looks gorgeous !Italian's style...

Beth said...

Your cake looks terrific. I wouldn't have thought to use grapes, but it looks like it really works. How nice that you were able to use an Italian twist on this all-American cake.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.