Pages

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Espresso-Chocolate Shortbread Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF

I'm definitely an espresso aficionado, so these shortbread cookies were high on my list to make. Chocolate, I can take it or leave it, but the combination of the two in this classic butter cookie is a match made in heaven. Chopping hard chocolate into fine pieces has befuddled me from the beginning, so this time, I used the very low setting on the microwave to soften the chocolate just a tad. Then I was able to chop it without the chocolate flying all over the kitchen or having a inordinate amount of fine poweder and big chunks. The dough comes together easy and to make rolling the dough simple and less messy, it is first placed in a plastic zipper-lock bag. Mine chilled overnight, but two hours is the minimum so the butter in the dough chills completely. Thanks to Donna of life'stooshortnottoeatdessertfirst for choosing this lovely little coffee and chocolate flavored shortbread.


It was only a matter of time that I would use my iPhone to shoot my food photos. At the moment, I am taking some online photography classes with Better Photo and Perfect Picture School of Photography and have been shooting outdoor landscape and flower photography for the last month.  After a busy day with my "big" camera, I wasn't eager to set up the tripod to shoot these espresso chocolate shortbread cookies. Out comes the iPhone! I have some fun little apps for photography on my phone. On these photos, I used Hipstamatic and Camera Bag. Although, I love both of the apps, these two photos are from the Camera Bag app. I edited them some in Photoshop and added some filter effects. I liked the effects the apps gave to the cookie photos-what do you think? This is my first foray into iPhone food photography, but I think I like it so far!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Those pictures came from your iphone?? They look so cool! I'm definitely downloading those apps later!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Your photos are really beautiful !! I didn't need the microwave just because we were in an oven those days !!

Flourchild said...

Wow if that's what phone photos can look like sign me up! Your pictures are excellent! Im glad you liked the cookies, I loved them. I put a candy bar in mine!

Beth said...

Those cookies are so cute! I can't wait to try them.

Life is too short . . . said...

Now I am deep in the doldrums, I can barely get a clear photo with a camera and you got those photos with a cell phone? I am so inept. I am very glad you liked these cookies. I appreciate your baking along with me this week.

Jacque said...

Cool pics, I like them! Very vintage looking.

Your cookies look delish too.

Lucy said...

Mmm these cookies look so tasty I know I wouldn't be able to resist. Your iphone pictures are amazing - they look like they were taken using a very expensive camera!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.