Pages

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Tender Shortcakes with Mixed Fresh Berries-TWD

Print Friendly and PDF Strawberry season is nearly at an end, but the blueberries and blackberries are just beginning to show up  at the little farm stand down the road from me, so the tender shortcakes chosen by Cathy of thetortefeaser couldn't have come at a better time for me. However, as much as I love shortcake with mixed berries and whipped cream , any fruit would be delicious with these butter and cream shortcakes as well as just  served warm with butter and jam.  Similar to scones, but more rough and crumbly, the tender shortcakes should be served shortly after baking; however, the dough can be made ahead, formed into shortcakes and then frozen. Just add about 5 minutes to the baking time. Dorie's recipe for this shortcake can be found on Cathy's blog and in "Baking From My Home to Yours" available at Amazon and other bookstores.
Photobucket
I added ground ginger to the flour mixture, but if you are a ginger fan, chopped crystallized ginger would add a more intense ginger flavor to the shortcakes. Instead of plain whipped cream, try a faux creme fraiche. The sour cream adds a little tanginess to the whipped cream.
Photobucket

16 comments:

Romaine said...

The creme fraiche sounds fabulous. Love the last picture with the cute little fork. What a cool prop!

Valerie said...

Gorgeous photo! I love the way mixed berries look when they're all together.

Flourchild said...

WOW now that's what I call beautiful! I love your cakes and the berries are mouthwatering good!!

cindy said...

I always look forward to your posts. This one did not disappoint. Beautiful, beautiful photos--and one tasty dessert!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your shortcake looks delicious and your photographs are absolutely beautiful!

Lauryn said...

your shortcakes look positively gorgeous!!! The photos are beautiful!

Sweet and Savory said...

Those berries are fabulous. Great photos and great dessert.

Cathy said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed these - your shortcakes look gorgeous (and the picture of the bowl of beautiful fruit is stunning as well!) Thanks so much for baking along with me this week!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

those berries are spectacular! must have been just delicious!

Mary said...

Beautiful! Both the berries and the shortcakes look scrumptious!

Engineer Baker said...

Not sure how I'd eat with that fork, but it looks pretty neat :) And those are some gorgeous shortcakes & berries!

Pamela said...

Oh, man! Look at all of those fabulous berries!!

Carol said...

Such beautiful photos! Looking at thoes beautiful berries makes me impatient for local berries to start showing up at my local market.

Tia said...

I'm thinking peaches and blueberries next time!

Mei Teng said...

Those fresh berries looked really yummy.

TeaLady said...

Creme fraiche and all that wonderful fruit. Fantastic!!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.