Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Cooking at a Beach House and an Easy Recipe for Zucchini with Black Beans and Corn

Print Friendly and PDF Our 4th of July week is coming up and it's the biggest holiday of our summer here. If you have plans to rent a house or villa at the beach, here are a few kitchen items that you may want to take with you to make your beach house cooking a little easier. Many kitchens are equipped with just the basic necessities, so you may be frustrated that the knives aren't sharp, the pots and pans are inexpensive and flimsy and there are never enough storage containers for leftovers, etc.

I have a wicker basket that I take with me when driving to a beach house. Included in the basket are a sharp, all purpose knife in a sheath, a wine bottle opener, a microplane for grating Parmesan cheese or citrus zest, two peelers; one for hard vegetables and one for soft vegetables or fruit,  a flat whisk, a pancake or egg turner, kitchen scissors, some clothespins, a muddler, some plastic storage bags and a small cutting board for lemons or limes. If there is space, I take a large cutting board and my favorite frying pan.  I would love to have these set of three Cuisinart frying pans from Chef's Catalog that are featured on Foodbuzz Daily Special for today. The frying pans are small enough to pack for  transporting to a beach house.

Do you have any special kitchen items that you take with you? I'd love to add to my wicker basket other essentials for beach house cooking that you take to make your cooking away from home easier. My husband and I have just returned from vacationing at a beach resort on Kiawah Island. What was great about cooking meals was the wide availability of fresh vegetables and seafood. Scouting all the local vegetable markets and buying fresh shrimp from a newly docked shrimp boat was as much fun as riding bikes, going on nature walks and enjoying the beautiful beach. Enjoy this slideshow of our photos from Kiawah.
Kiawah Vacation

Here is a delicious and easy recipe for your beach house cooking. Colorful and full of flavor, this dish would be fabulous with fresh zucchini and corn from the farmers market.




Zucchini with Black Beans and Corn


1 tablespoon oil


1 pound zucchini, cubed


1 cup fresh or frozen corn, about 2 ears fresh, kernels cut off


1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained


1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro


2 teaspoons lime juice


1/2 teaspoon salt


freshly ground pepper to taste



Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add zucchini and corn, cook stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes, or until zucchini is tender crisp. Add black beans the last 2 minutes of cooking. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro, lime juice, salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings.

5 comments:

AmyRuth said...

Well, when we go to the beach I always bring along my own freshly ground coffee. (coffee snob here) I also bring along my own chef's knife.
AmyRuth

AmyRuth said...

Well, when we go to the beach I always bring along my own freshly ground coffee. (coffee snob here) I also bring along my own chef's knife.
AmyRuth

Luvdaylilies said...

Oh, Yum! I've got to try this=)

Lynnylu said...

Thanks, Amy Ruth. I bring my own coffee, also, as I am a coffee snob, too. I've added a few things to my kit this time-an iron frying pan for eggs!

Lynnylu said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, Luvdaylilies!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.