Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cherry Chocolate Swirled Cinnamon Rolls-TWD

Print Friendly and PDF
It dawned on me as I was sprinkling the dried cherries over the sugar, cinnamon, cocoa layer of this lovely soft bread dough, redolent with orange zest and nutmeg, that I could make cinnamon rolls out of them instead of the bread. Skimming through Dorie's "Baking From My Home to Yours", I found two recipes that could qualify for a proper cinnamon roll- Brioche Raisin Snails and Pecan Sticky Buns.

When my girls were in college, quite often I would bake a big batch of cinnamon rolls for them to share with their friends in the dorm or apartment. Needless to say, they loved to see me visit. I haven't made them in years, so now was the time. While gathering the ingredients for the rolls, I noticed that I had dried cherries in my pantry, but no raisins! I soaked them in a tiny amount of Framboise, a raspberry liqueur, to plump them up, then patted them dry. The  unsweetened cocoa  marries well with the cherries, along with the cinnamon and sugar, so I would definitely try using the cocoa

Susan  of food.baby chose the Raisin Swirl Bread for this weeks TWD pick. You can find the recipe and instructions for making the bread on her blog. I am including the recipe and instructions for making the rolls with the frosting. The dough is easily made in the dough cycle of a bread machine. If you don't choose to use the bread machine, follow the instructions for making the bread dough here.

Cherry Chocolate Swirled Cinnamon Rolls

1 packet active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar, plus a pinch
1 1/4 cups just-warm-to-the-touch whole milk
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons or 60g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
Grated zest of 1/2 orange (optional)
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
3 3/4 to 4 cups all-purpose (plain) flour

For the swirl:
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder, optional, but great with the dried cherries
1 cup moist, dried  cherries, soaked in a little Framboise (if desired), drained and patted dry, 
3 tablespoons (45 grams) unsalted butter, softened to a spreadable consistency


For the frosting: Double if you want a thicker layer of frosting.
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon milk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.


To prepare  the dough:
Butter a baking sheet or 9 x 13-inch baking pan. 
According to manufacturer's instructions for the dough cycle, prepare the bread dough. When the dough cycle has completed, remove dough to a lightly floured surface. Whisk together the sugar, cinnamon and cocoa Roll the dough into a rectangle about 12-18 inches. Smear two tablespoons of the butter over the surface of the dough.  Using your fingers to spread the butter works well. Sprinkle over the sugar, cinnamon and chocolate mixture.  Beginning from the short side of the dough, roll the dough up snugly jelly roll fashion.  Pinch to seal seams. With a sharp knife, cut into 12 slices about 1-inch wide. Place cut side up on prepared pan.  Let rise , loosely covered, in a warm, draft free space until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.Bake in a preheated 350° F. oven for 15-20 minutes. Ovens vary, so check after 15 minutes. When rolls have baked, remove them from the oven.Spread with frosting while warm. For the frosting, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and the 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir well, incorporating butter smoothly in the frosting. Add vanilla. 

14 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I almost wish I had made cinnamon rolls with this.

It is just so good.

Katrina said...

Awesome. I made cinnamon rolls, too! Love the cherry addition to yours. And I would sure put more chocolate in mine next time. Great dough this was.

Flourchild said...

Holy mama those look good! What a great recipe!!
The bread was so good. I added cinnamon chips to mine instead of the raisins.

Tia said...

I don't even know where to start. Your amazing pictures, your tempting flavor combos, the sweet story to accompany this post.... it's all fabulous :)

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cinnamon rolls look absolutely amazing!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Beautiful photos, as always! Love the idea of changing this into rolls - cherry chocolate ones, at that! :)

Beth said...

Those look delicious! Great idea to do cherries.

Susan said...

Fabulous combination and great idea on doing rolls instead of bread. A couple of other bakers did the same and now I am wishing I had! Oh well, next time. :)

Memória said...

Wow. These rolls are too lovely for words.

Lynnylu said...

Thanks, guy for your comments. These cinnamon rolls were quite a hit with my family.

ajcabuang04 said...

I love cinnamon rolls!! Yours look really delicious!

Would you mind checking out my blog? :D
http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

honeymuffin said...

So creative!! Icing makes everything better. :-)

Chelle said...

you have a lovely blog here with great photos! interesting tip to use framboise to soak the raisins. i have an unopened bottle of framboise that i have no idea what to use for. i can now start a collection of notes on how to use it. (:

spike. said...

the rolls look great and that filling sounds even better!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.