Pages

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ginger Beer-Thirsty Thursday

Print Friendly and PDF
Photobucket


A perfect drink for a picnic, this fresh, non-alcoholic ginger beer is simple to make; does not require any fermentation, bottling, waiting weeks for the brew to mature or running the risk of bottles exploding in your basement or closet. While it is not carbonated like the bottled ginger beer, it's concentrated, so can be topped off with your favorite soda or sparkling mineral water.  The addition of lime and lime zest to the chopped fresh ginger concoction adds extra zing along with a few whole cloves for a subtle spice flavor.
Photobucket







Ginger Beer


4 ounces fresh ginger, coarsely chopped-no need to peel
2 limes, zest and juice
2 whole cloves
1 cup light brown sugar
Soda, tonic water, or sparkling mineral water


In the bowl of a food processor, process ginger until grated. Remove to a large heatproof pitcher or measuring cup. Add lime zest, lime juice, cloves and brown sugar.  Add 4 cups boiling water, then stir until the sugar dissolves. Cool, strain, then chill.  To serve,  half-fill glasses with the ginger beer and top off with the soda, tonic water or sparkling mineral.  Garnish with lime slices. Serves 4.

6 comments:

Piper said...

I made this and it is so, soo good.! I eyeballed everything, zesting my frozen ginger directly into my 4C Pyrex measuring cup, added a rock-hard block of 'about' 1C of brown sugar...my cloves were of the miniscule variety, so I added 5, then the zest and juice of 2 small limes and the hot water. After straining, I plopped into the fridge. I like this because it is not too-too anything (flavors)--just yummy. I added Vodka and a Spearmint sprig..;-))

Lynnylu said...

Great-I loved the taste of ginger and I especially liked that the recipe was so easy. Did you use this one or another? If another, where did you find the recipe? Thanks for commenting.

once in a blue moon... said...

i would love this! love your pics as always, it looks so freshing~

Mary said...

This sounds so refreshing, I think I might do what Piper did and add the Vodka~ thanks for the visiting :-)

Mei Teng said...

I like ginger beer. All the better if it's non-alcoholic. I don't drink. So my alcohol tolerance is low.

The Diva on a Diet said...

Somehow missed this last week, but, wow, what a great recipe! I always buy my ginger beer ... but that's about to change. Thanks, Lynnylu!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.