Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Burnt Sugar Ice Cream with Grilled Pineapple and Rum Sauce

Print Friendly and PDF Burnt Sugar-. (Chem.) Burnt sugar; a brown or black porous substance obtained by heating sugar. It is soluble in water, and is used for coloring spirits, gravies, etc. [1913 Webster]


Doesn't sound very tasty, does it? Apparently in 1913, no one had used this chemical happening to make ice cream or the definition would have a ton of "oohs and ahhs" and omg's throughout its wording. Burnt sugar ice cream is about the best ice cream there is! It needs no adornment, but I'm in a tropical mood, so grilled pineapple and rum sauce was on my mind. To add crunch, toasted unsweetened coconut garnishes this lush equatorial dessert.
Photobucket
To make the burnt sugar caramel, you need take the phone off the hook, put the dog in his cage, and take the cat out. If you have young children, make sure someone else is watching them. In other words, no distractions! Use caution as the hot sugar mixture is like molten lave. Making caramel isn't hard, but it takes some time and patience.  One tip I've learned the hard way over the years is that just when you think the caramel is just to the amber stage, but not dark enough, I remove the pot from the heat and continue to swirl  the mixture which then turns more or less the shade amber I desire. Take care when making the caramel as it can go from amber to burnt in seconds. Becky from Project Domestication has the complete recipe for the burnt sugar ice cream. A great pick as our weather in Georgia has become sultry and sweltering-hence the tropical theme.
Photobucket

I used my  CuisinartDuo to make the ice cream. Usually, I would use the WhiteMountain old fashioned manual ice cream maker, but this recipe only makes about 1-1/2 pints whereas the White Mountain has a 4-quart capacity-perfect for a crowd!

For the Grilled Pineapple

1 large ripe pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into slices. To determine if your pineapple is ripe, try plucking one of the leaves from the top of the fruit-they should come away easily.
1-2 tablespoons butter

In a grill pan on top of the stove, melt butter over medium heat. When hot, grill pineapple slices 3-4 minutes a side, rotating to achieve the cross-hatch effect. Remove from pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.

For the Rum Sauce
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon pineapple or orange juice
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1 tablespoon dark rum

Melt butter over med-low heat. Add juice and light brown sugar. Stir constantly and cook 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat;add rum. Keep warm or reheat before serving.

For the Toasted Coconut

Preheat oven to 350°F. Sprinkle 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut on rimmed baking sheet. Bake until coconut is lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes.

To Assemble the Burnt Sugar Ice Cream Dessert

Place one slice grilled pineapple on dessert plate; top with a large scoop of burnt sugar ice cream. Drizzle rum sauce over the ice cream and garnish with toasted coconut.

To view more variations of the burnt sugar ice cream, visit the  TuesdayswithDorie website. Recipe here.

18 comments:

Tia said...

wow - tropical flavors - you're a genius my friend.

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

You always amaze me! Gorgeous photography - the ice cream sounds wonderful!! :)

thymeandspace said...

Your ice cream looks fantastic and I love your instructions for "no distractions" - you are so right!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

oh my gosh-- pinapple and rum sauce may be the best thing i've seen to compliment this ice cream! perfection--i'm trying it next time i make it!

Katrina said...

Ooh, the pineapple sounds fabulous with this ice cream!

vibi said...

Look who's complimenting my jazzed up ice cream! Wow... tropical indeed, the match of flavours and textures must have been divine! Nice touch, Lynne!

Mary said...

this sounds fantastic--pineapple, coconut and rum are some of my favourite things! Mmm

Romaine said...

Love the ice cream dishes. And I think grilled pineapple is an excellent idea. Thinking it would dilute the richness of the ice cream a bit.

Pamela said...

Sounds wonderful!

Nickki said...

OMG that looks amazing!
Love it :-)

Kitchen Butterfly said...

I so agree on how to get the colour right by taking it off the heat. A technique I neglected making syrup waffles this morning. I can tell you that I have crisp, rather burnt caramel as fillings for some!

Lauryn said...

Your photos are stunning and that ice cream with the pineapple and rum sauce is drool worthy! OMG I must make that rum sauce!

Shandy said...

I can not believe just how good this looks! Your photos are amazing too.

TeaLady said...

This ice cream was good, but OMG with your additions. How wonderful it sounds. OMG!!

Carol Peterman said...

That's a full-on fancy dessert! I use the same strategy for taking sugar right up to the edge of being burned. Remove it from the heat a few seconds early and let it coast right up to when it just starts to smoke from the heat of the pan.

Babette said...

Oh, man, I LOVE your photos. And the pineapple/rum sauce is genius...I have to go see if there's a spoonful of ice cream left, that's how much your posted has left me wanting MORE,

Jennifer said...

Wow....gorgeous! I love the idea of the pineapple on the bottom!

stonemaven said...

Could you have your links open a new tab, or enable right click tab opening. I'd love to follow your links but I hate to navigate away from your page.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.