Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Apple-Apple Bread Pudding with Hard Cider Sauce

Print Friendly and PDF


Bread pudding is may absolute favorite childhood dessert, so I was eager to try this apple-apple bread pudding chosen by Elizabeth of Cake or Death. Sliced caramelized apples sandwiched between good bread slathered with spiced apple butter, a rich custard sauce poured all over , then baked in a bain-marie. A classic dessert. However, photographically-not so easy. I made my on Sunday, but didn't get to photograph the dish until yesterday. The time in the refrigerator was not kind to my pudding. It was still delicious, but not quite as pretty as it was 20 minutes out of the oven with the warm Hard Cider Sauce poured over. English ciders are my favorite and when visiting my friends in Wimborne, near Bournemouth, I like to try the local ciders there. With apples and apple butter in the starring role, it seemed natural to include apples in some form in the sauce. A triple apple dessert.


Hard Cider Sauce


4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup hard apple cider
4 large egg yolks

In the top of a double boiler, melt the butter over simmering water. Add the  sugar and whisk to combine-about 1 minute. Add cider; whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat; add egg yolks one at a time, whisking constantly. Return to heat and whisk until mixture is pale and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Spoon the sauce over the pudding and serve immediately. Sauce will thicken as it cools. Recipe Emeril Lagasse.

10 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Hard cider sauce.

Oh...your killing me.


I'll take it with a spoon please.

Babette said...

I'm posting on Thursday (since I'm no longer an official TWDer)..but I like the photo I got--I left the apple a bit bigger and have almost a mosaic of apple and bread...stop over on Thursday!

But you went ahead with that SAUCE. Oh,YUM. I love a good boozy sauce...

Babette @ www.BabetteFeasts.com

Lauryn said...

well I disagree -- I think your photos look gorgeous!! And that sauce sounds so yummy!!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i think it looks just terrific! and with the hard cider sauce, i know it tasted great, too!

Flourchild said...

Yum it looks so good! Great photos!

Mary said...

Your bread pudding looks fantastic--I can't imagine it looked even better before! That apple cider sauce sounds amazing--like a sabayon! I must bookmark that for next time I make this pudding. I used rhubarb this time around.

Tia said...

ooh can i have the sauce in a cup please? lol

Romaine said...

LOVE the apple picture and the bread pudding looks good too. Making a copy of the hard cider sauce. Sounds wonderful.

Mei Teng said...

Yummylicious! I love apples, pears and peaches in desserts.

scotbrit said...

Bread Pudding!!!!!!!!!! My all-time favorite childhood dessert. Remember how our granny used to make it - soooooooo good. And you know my thoughts on cider!! Love it! (Lots of exclamation marks, huh)

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.