Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sweet Cream Biscuits-TWD

Print Friendly and PDF The secret to making delicious no-fail biscuits is like making pie crust, you have to make them often so you can get the feel of the dough. My grandmother lived with us on our farm when I was a kid and she made the  loveliest, flakiest, most wonderful biscuits I have eaten, but she made them every morning in a wooden bowl reserved only for biscuit dough. I, on the other hand, try to make biscuits once a year on special occasions. Grandma used self-rising White Lily flour and buttermilk,plus some shortening, but, basically did not measure the flour,buttermilk or shortening, as she had made them for so many years that it was a natural process to her.


White Lily flour, always popular with Southerners, hit the big time in the early nineties when it became available at Dean and Deluca. J.Allen Smith, a Georgian came to Knoxville, Tennessee around 1873 and co-founded a grain business called the Knoxville City Mills. After developing several flours, Smith came up with new flour that he reputedly named Lilie, for his wife. White Lily flour, along with its sister flours became big sellers and made Mr. Smith a rich man. In 2008, after more than a century, Knoxville closed its factories and White Lily flour was bought by Smuckers and its mills were scattered throughout several mills in the midwest. Some say the flour was never the same after that. However, Smuckers stands by its claim that White Lily flour comes from the same soft red wheat variety and traditional production processes. Personally, I can attest to the silkiness and fine quality of White Lily flour having used it as my grandmother did.

Thanks, Melissa of aloveatfirstbite for bringing back memories by choosing the sweet cream biscuits as her weekly pick for TWD. Maybe my grandma didn't use sweet cream, but these biscuits come the closest to what she would have baked. You can find the recipe on Melissa's blog or in Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking From My Home to Yours".

11 comments:

Romaine said...

Your pictures are gorgeous. Good analogy about about making yeast bread and knowing the feel of the dough. Which explains why I can make yeast bread but not biscuits. I'm with you on once a year.

Jeannette said...

Your biscuits look divine. Especially with that slice of breakfast ham!! Yum!

Susan said...

How wonderful when a recipe can bring back memories of family and friends. :) Your biscuits look perfect and I am sure your Grandmother would have been proud.

Pamela said...

Your biscuits are stunning! I guess I need to buy some White Lily flour!

Jessica of My Baking Heart said...

Your biscuits look perfect! Lovely photos, too! :)

Anne said...

Wow how fun to learn the history behind the flour! I've never seen it, but I do live in Arizona! I'll have to look a little harder. Your biscuits look picture perfect- really!

Tia said...

I've never baked with White Lily before, your biscuits look yummy!

Mei Teng said...

Those sweet cream biscuits looked like scones. Btw, I love scones filled with cream and jam. But hard to get good ones over here. They tend to be dry and crumbly.

Are you into savoury cookies (with spices and herbs)?

alvarosa said...

Your biscuits look as if you would do them daily, too!

vibi said...

WOW! What nice pastry chef genes you must have to succeed so well at those! Beautifully done, Lynne!

Becky said...

i can't get over these pictures! and dang, i want that breakfast!

YUM!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.