Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Swedish Visiting Cake-TWD

Print Friendly and PDF
You can have your fancy desserts and time consuming pastries if you like, but I'll take this simple, yet bursting with flavor, lemony almond cake any day. Plus, I have a decent collection of cast iron pans when given the opportunity will use in a flash. These 4-inch au-gratin pans were bought a few years from a kitchen supply store specifically to make a clafouti, so when I read that Dorie suggested using a cast iron pan for this Swedish Visiting Cake, I was thrilled. I made the full recipe and divided it among two 6-inch pan which filled the pans nearly to the rim, but since there was no baking powder in the batter, the cake didn't rise much. Thanks, Nancy of thedogseatthecrumbs for choosing this lovely cake which is good for breakfast, too! Check out Nancy's blog for the recipe.

I love lemon zest, so doubled the amount of zest and added both vanilla and almond extract to the batter. Dorie's French Yogurt Cake and the Fluted Polenta and Ricotta Cake are two of my favorite quick and easy cakes. You can find all these recipes in Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking From My Home to Yours" and possibly by surfing the web, but buying the book is the best option. You can make notes and always have the recipes and Dorie's invaluable suggestions for variations to the recipes plus little vignettes of  interesting stories regarding the creation of the dish.




12 comments:

carmencooks said...

Yum, I used more lemon zest too and am glad I did! Your cake looks delicious. :)

honeymuffin said...

From one Lynne with "e" to another - YUM! Great idea to double the zest, I'll try that next time.

chocolatechic said...

I love the fact that this is baked in cast iron too.

I heart my cast iron, and wish that I had more.

Flourchild said...

YOur cake looks so good! The lemon flavor was the best!

Pamela said...

I'm in love with those little pans! And your photos?? AMAZING!! Loved this cake, especially the giant lemony flavor I got from it. So simple, so good.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your cakes are so beautiful - love your little cast iron pans and the pretty cloths and flowers you used. So inviting! I'll be right over!! I'm going to increase the lemon next time, thanks for that tip, and for baking along with me this week.

CB said...

I inadvertently doubled the lemon zest too! I halved the recipe but use the whole lemon zest. Best mistake ever. I think doubling the lemon zest made it possible to taste the lemon with the almond extract. I feel like if I hadn't doubled the lemon flavor would be kinda overpowered. I adore your 6" cast iron skillets. Great job!
-CB
http://iheartfood4thought.com

vibi said...

I even thought about you when I baked it. For some reason that eludes me... I was sure to come here and read THIS, was your kind of cake.

We all loved it too!

You've made a great job of making it look as simple and elegant as it is simple and tasty!

Jeannette said...

I received a cast iron skillet as my valentine's day gift this past year (along with red melamine bowls, fitting no?) and I LOVE IT!! But now I feel this NEED to own cute small ones. ;)

Beautiful pictures and cake!!

Marthe said...

I love your gratin pans!! I don't own a skillet, but I might go out and buy one now! Loved the visiting cake!

Susan said...

Your photos are gorgeous and the cakes look delicious. I loved being able to pull my often neglected cast iron pan out of the cupboard and use it for this yummy cake. :)

Heather T - sloCooking said...

Thanks for making me hungry! http://slocooking.blogspot.com/2010/04/make-me-hungry-awards.html

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.