Tuesday, February 09, 2010

TWD-Rick Katz Brownies for Julia

Print Friendly and PDF
Rick Katz, a Boston-based pastry chef served these brownies to Dorie, Julia and the crew of visiting chefs working on the PBS series and companion book, Baking with Julia. His luscious dark, fudgy brownies success was attained by mixing in half the sugar and eggs in the melted chocolate mixture, while beating the other half egg sugar mixture until doubled in volume and very light. Perfect accompaniment to a strong dark cup of espresso. Added decadence-a small scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Just when I think my chocolate stores are up to date-71% cacao, 50% cacao, chocolate chips-and so on, I find I have no unsweetened chocolate! How did that happen when I have an assortment of chocolate falling out of my pantry? Well, at the eleventh hour, I wasn't going to the grocery store. Brownies are easy to make, depending on what texture you like; fudgy or cake-like and are one of the most forgiving of recipes. With that in mind, I decided to use a combination of Scharffen Berger 71% cacao and Ritter Extra Fine Dark chocolate, also 71% cacao. But they would be way too sweet; so I decreased the sugar from 2 cups to 1 cup and kept my fingers crossed. Voila!

Thanks to Tanya of chocolatechic for her TWD pick this week. I think she likes chocolate! Check out her blog for the recipe, or you can find it in Dorie Greenspan's book, "Baking from My Home to Yours", available nearly everywhere.

9 comments:

vibi said...

I was out of unsweetened chocolate too... ahhhh... when two great minds! LOL

Nevertheless, your piscture is amazing and the chocolate brownie square's rusticity, makes all the more mouthwatering!

Lauryn said...

the brownies look gorgeous! Your photos are always spectacular!! Great job! Sounds like you made it work with different chocolate!

Hornedfroggy of My Baking Heart said...

Whoa... that looks amazing! :) I'll take one now, please!

chocolatechic said...

Oh...your chocolate stores sound so wonderful.

I considered lessening the sugar amount...

Mei Teng said...

Yummy! :) Great idea to serve it with vanilla ice cream.

TeaLady said...

Yeah, I discovered I was out of unsweet too. Used a combo and splenda for 1/2 sugar. Perfect.

Love the ice cream with cocoa sprinkle. Perfect!

Stella said...

Hey, this looks great. Such a pretty photo...I am about to make more brownies, so maybe I'll try Rick Katz' too....

Stella said...

Hey, I just commented, so feel free to delete this one if you like (I can't get your e-mail for some reason). Just noticed that you are from Augusta, Ga. I used to spend my summers there as a child off of Washington Road and a bit of time in Martinez too. Both of my parents grew up in Augusta, but I must say I have no idea what it's like these days???

Karen@Mignardise said...

I used to go to a cafe owned by Rick Katz in Newton Massachusetts. The best baked good ever! I still dream about it.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.