Tuesday, February 16, 2010

TWD-My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF

To rephrase Forrest Gump-Chocolate chip cookies are "like a box of chocolates-you never know what you're gonna get". Everyone has a favorite chocolate chip cookie, whether bought from a bakery, grocery store or homemade. It seems that Dorie's version of her best chocolate chip cookie wasn't some of the TWD bakers' idea of a perfect chocolate chip cookie judging from the comments on the TWD site. Although they did spread out while baking, (refrigerating the dough for one hour seem to alleviate some of the spreading) they were just as Dorie described-"thin and crisp, and a bit chewy in the center from just the right mix of sugars-granulated sugar for crispiness and brown sugar for deep caramel flavor".

While I agree chopping your own quality chocolate as opposed to buying "big name supermarket chocolate chips", my chopped chips had too many pulverized bits that when baked in the cookie almost gave them a marbled look. Next time, I will try shaking out the bits using a sieve or colander. The pecans give the cookies a nice toasty crunch and is a great complement to the rich chocolate chunks.
Thanks to Kait of Kaitsplate for her pick this edition of TWD-be sure and check her blog for the recipe and also, the TWD bakers' to see other variations of this cookie.

8 comments:

vibi said...

What a fancy, oh! so very elegant way to substitute... very well thought of Lynne! Bravo!

AmyRuth said...

I confess..... still looking for "that" cookie. These were crunchy, so for the one who likes the crunchy cookie I think these are the find of the day. Your marbleized cookies look really good. I kind of do that by default sometimes. It may not be the intent but they taste oh so good.
still looking
AmyRuth

Shandy said...

LOVE, love, love your photo! The chopped chocolate is a wonderful revelation in my ccc baking world. Personally, I think the marble affect looks delicious =)

Jackie at PhamFatale.com said...

Your comment on my site really made my day. Thank you so much for stopping by, so I could discover yours at the same time :)

Kaitlin said...

Yes, I think many of us forgot that Dorie said they would be thin and crisp! They did seem to border on burnt, though. To each their own. By the way, I must say, your photos are absolutely gorgeous.

Liz said...

Wow, these look delish! I love the chocolate chunks especially--it looks like there's gobs of chocolate in every bite.

TeaLady said...

Nothing wrong with swirl in a CCC.

Still looking for THE best CCC, unfortunately, these weren't it. The dough was great tho.

Megan said...

Wow, these sound absolutely delicious! The combination of chocolate and nuts in a cookie just sounds irresistible-can't wait to try out this recipe!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.