Thursday, January 28, 2010

Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Print Friendly and PDF
When my grandfather, a policeman during the week and a preacher on Sunday, was shot and killed by a person resisting arrest, my grandmother came to live with us. Mother worked, so Nanny, as we called her, cooked most all the meals for our family. She was a very thrifty cook, using every bit of food to its advantage, so nothing was wasted. Her bread pudding was like no other I have tasted and it was made from leftover biscuits-I don't think she ever used cornbread, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

This recipe is an attempt to recreate the bread pudding of my childhood. I'm not sure I succeeded as hers had a dense texture, whereas mine was more soufflé-like but nevertheless, this bread pudding is very tasty. My grandmother would have been horrified at the inclusion of rum in her pudding-remember her husband was a preacher! The rum imparts a heady essence to the otherwise bland pudding. Bread pudding adapted from this recipe and the rum sauce from here. Serves 6-8.
Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

1 teaspoon unsalted butter
4 large eggs
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
1/4 cup dark run
2 cups half-and-half
8 slices day-old French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
1 cup raisins, optional

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons dark rum

For the Bread Pudding

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 6 cup loaf pan or baking dish with the 1 tablespoon butter. Whisk the eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract and rum together in a large bowl until smooth. Add the half and half and mix well. Add bread cubes and raisins, if using. Let the mixture sit for two hours, stirring occasionally.

Pour mixture in prepared pan or dish and bake until pudding is set in the center, about 50-55 minutes. Meanwhile make rum sauce. When bread pudding is done, remove from oven. Let sit 5 minutes. Slice and serve topped with rum sauce and whipped cream.

To Make the Rum Sauce

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add whipping cream, brown sugar and pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat; add rum. Makes about 1 cup. Rum sauce will keep 2 days covered and refrigerated.

Other bread puddings from Cafe Lynnylu to try-Dried Blueberry and Candied Pineapple Bread Pudding and Caramelized Pear Bread Pudding.


Liz said...

This sounds amazing! Bread pudding is one of my favorite desserts, and now I'm craving some...

scotbrit said...

That looks very close to Granny's. AND you're exactly right - no rum for her!

Stephanie said...

I've never been a fan of bread pudding but i'm pretty sure you just changed my opinion. Yours looks amazing, I must try it!

Lynnylu said...

Liz-glad you like the bread pudding-I crave it often myself.
Scotbrit-I suppose I can never make it like Granny-hers was out of this world.
Stephanie-I'm happy to have changed your opinion on eating bread pudding. Not a tasty sounding name, but it's fabulous.

Gadget by The Blog Doctor.