Pages

Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Sugar-Topped Pomegranate Molasses Spice Cookies

Print Friendly and PDF Photobucket

I'm having house guests this coming weekend, so the cookies chosen by Pamela of Cookies with the Boys would be perfect for the picnic I'm planning. Since they freeze well, I could make them ahead of time.

I was multi-tasking this past Sunday; making cookies and pomegranate molasses from the juice the lovely folks at POMWonderful sent me just recently. I thought Pomegranate molasses too exotic to make at home, plus it isn't available in the high-end grocery stores that I sometimes frequent. After searching online for recipes and realizing how easy the molasses was to make at home, I was elated. Here in the United States, PomWonderful is the largest grower and processor of pomegranates, specifically the Wonderful variety. Pomegranate juice has so many health advantages that it should be considered a veritable fountain of youth. Did you know that grenadine syrup is also made from pomegranate juice? I didn't! I see some cocktails in my crystal ball!
Photobucket
Back to the cookies-The pomegranate molasses had cooled and looked just like the jarred molasses, except the color was a deeper red. The finished cookies had a great spice flavor which wasn't overpowered by the inclusion of the pomegranate molasses and I could discern a subtle piquant taste from the fruit. Very pleasing.

Since November is a busy month leading up to the holidays, the Tuesdays with Dorie baking group has some leeway in posting this month's picks. So check out the blogroll, it's not all cookies!

15 comments:

AppleC said...

I love the sound of those cookies. Any cookie with molasses in it works for me. They look fantastic.

Jessica said...

Ooh pomegranate cookies sound delicious! I love pomegranates, but haven't really cooked with them! What a lovely recipe!

Nina said...

Your cookies look terrific! I bet the pommegranate molasses was amazing! I loved these cookies!

Isabelle said...

nous les avons faits de la même façon, Lynne ! j'ai aussi utilisé cette mélasse. Je l'aime beaucoup pour son côté acidulé !
tes photos sont toujours aussi fantastiques :)

Susan said...

Pomegranate molasses sounds delicious! I am sure the cookies were great. They look fabulous!

Pamela said...

What a great idea! Your cookies look wonderful. Thanks for baking with me!

Rachel said...

I'm not a POM person but they sound delicious and I love the color of the molasses.

SUGAR B said...

Wow, nice pictures and nice cookies!

I also received some POM juice from the POM people that I haven't used yet. POM cupcakes? What do you think?

I love your idea!

Mei Teng said...

Pomegranates are pretty expensive over here.

TeaLady said...

Pomegranate syrup. Very creative. Bet they were good.

PheMom said...

What a neat way to use the juice into molasses! Your cookies look lovely!

Anne said...

Wow pomegranate sounds like a great addition to those cookies- yum!

Shandy said...

I am in love! The pomegranate molasses looks delicious and I was wondering how to make it? I also had no idea pomegranates were so healthy. I better pick more up to snack on. Love your cookies too. YUM!

Lauryn said...

MMM, I bet the pommegranate made these over the top amazing! Yum! I am planning on making these cookies tonight!!

SuNa said...

I am looking for the recipe for these wonderful-sounding cookies. I will continue to search the page (I'm new to this) but if anyone would like to help direct me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

SuNa

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.