This rustic Italian dish, a mixture of creamy scrambled eggs with sauteed roasted red peppers and garlic is perfect for breakfast, a light lunch or an easy Sunday night supper. Roast your own peppers or use a good brand of fire roasted red peppers. For sandwiches, broil or grill slices of crusty Italian or Rosemary Raisin Bread. Serves 2-3, but the recipe is easily doubled. Adapted from "Italy in Small Bites" by Carol Field.
- 2 red bell peppers, roasted, or 2 jarred roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large eggs
- Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons minced Italian parsley, optional
- 4-6 slices country-style Italian bread, or rosemary raisin bread
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet. Saute the peppers and garlic over medium-low heat until soft, but not mushy. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and salt.
- Add the eggs to the pan and scramble them until they are creamy and set.
- For the sandwiches, grill or broil the bread. Arrange the scrambled egg mixture between the slices allowing the flavors to imbue the crusty bread.