Pages

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Split Level Pudding

Print Friendly and PDF
What a shock I had when I went to my refrigerator after the required four hour chilling time! The split level puddings made from orange flavored chocolate and espresso pudding were runnier than when I put them in. Well, that's what I get for rushing through this dessert so I could photograph it before the football game that my team ended up losing anyway. So I got up early Sunday morning and made the dessert again. This time, I didn't use the food processor as it was very early and I didn't want to wake my husband or my sleeping Yorkie. I just mixed the cornstarch, salt and sugar in a small amount of milk, then combined all the ingredients and whisked them well before cooking the pudding.Instead of the orange chocolate, I used plain chocolate for the bottom layer, but kept with the espresso theme. Success! But, I had a failed pudding and six egg whites to deal with.

After chilling the puddings,I topped them with a meringue, placed them in a pan of ice to keep the puddings cold, then ran them under the broiler. The failed pudding mixture became chocolate orange espresso ice cream. The only downside was I had two desserts to eat, not just one. Some people wouldn't call it a downside, but they probably are skinny. It's time for me to hit the gym! See you next time.

Thanks to Garret of theflavorofvanilla for choosing the Split Level Pudding for this edition of TuesdayswithDorie.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so smart turning that into ice cream!! Gorgeous pictures :) I loved this pudding, though next time I'll just make the vanilla, it didn't really need the chocolate. I love the idea of the orange chocolate, that's such an awesome flavor :)

Engineer Baker said...

Gorgeous! I love your solution for the extra egg whites (mine was macarons). And as always, I'm a sucker for espresso :)

vibi said...

WOW!you went out of your way to make this one super sinful... with a meringue on top! Pfiew! Very nice!

Lauryn said...

Wow, talk about a save...turning it into ice cream! You are a genius!!! And merengue on top sounds fabulous! And espresso! Yum! I loved how my came out but I want to try your version!!!

Susan said...

I had chocolate espresso ice cream too! Don't know what I did wrong, but pudding never got thick after I added the butter and vanilla. Your second batch looks great!

Teanna said...

Oh man! I'm sorry about the puddings and your team!!! But at least you got some ice cream out of it! I'm feeling you on the gym!

Isabelle said...

Chez nous, ce n'est pas un problème de manger 2 desserts :)
les tiens sont magnifiquement présentés !

AmyRuth said...

What a wonder!!! my whites went in my belly for breakfast. Yours are far more interesting than mine and your ice cream is or was probably scrumptious. What a trooper you are to make it 2x. So glad you had success!! Perfecto!
AmyRuth

AmyRuth said...

Wonderful, two for the price of one. So glad you had success with your pudding and your ice cream he he.
Way to go! My whites were breakfast, not nearly as interesting as your meringues.
AmyRuth

Shandy said...

You did great with a solution! I wish I thought as quick on my feet. The meringue on top is brilliant and simply dessert gorgeous.

Romaine said...

My whites are still in the freezer. But the ice cream idea--that's genius.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.