Pages

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Grape and Pear Pie

Print Friendly and PDF Photobucket
This post is not as much about the grape pear pie, which was delicious and unusual, as it is about the pie crust itself. As far as I can remember back to my early days of learning to bake pies, I have always made my own pie crust, not only because I loved making the dough and rolling it out, but I never liked the aluminum tins that the unbaked crusts came in; plus most pie fillings would overflow these meager vessels. In my mind, it was a travesty to make a homemade filling and then it end up in a tasteless crust. Now to the crux of the matter-I was in a hurry to make this pie! Setting my snobbery aside, I bought a package of rolled 9 inch pie crusts from the refrigerated section of the grocery store.

Making the pie was a snap! The refrigerated dough sat out for about 15 minutes to make it easier to handle. I wouldn't recommend the microwave method to warm the dough to room temperature due to uneven heating in some microwave units. In about 20 minutes, I had the pie in the oven. Although the baked crust was a little thick, I was impressed with the flavor. I will continue to make my own pie crusts, but when in pressed for time, I'll buy the ready made ones. From Better Homes and Gardens, recipe here. Pie needs to cool for 6 hours, then refrigerated up to 24 hours.

Grape and Pear Pie

Ingredients

* 2 rolled refrigerated unbaked pie crusts
* 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
* 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
* 1 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
* 5 cups seedless red or black grapes
* 2 medium red pears, cored and sliced (2 cups)
* 1 egg white

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare Pastry for Double Crust Pie. For filling, in a large bowl stir together brown sugar, flour, melted butter, and orange peel. Add grapes and pears; toss.

2. On lightly floured surface, slightly flatten 1 ball of pastry. Roll dough from center to edges into 12-inch circle. Wrap pastry around rolling pin; unroll in 9-inch pie plate. Ease pastry into pie plate, being careful not to stretch. Trim even with rim of pie plate. Pour filling into pastry. Roll remaining dough into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Place pastry on filling; trim to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top pastry edge under bottom pastry. Crimp edge as desired. Place on baking sheet.

3. In small bowl combine egg white with 1 tablespoon water. Brush top of pie with egg white mixture. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake 35 minutes; remove foil. Bake 35 to 40 minutes more or until top of pastry is golden and steam is escaping from slits in top crust. Remove from oven. Cool 6 hours. Store, loosely covered, in refrigerator up to 24 hours. Makes 8 servings.
Photobucket

2 comments:

AppleC said...

Some people love to make pies and the pie crust is apparently the best part..e.g. my sister loves to make pies. I am not a pie person AT ALL. The reason..the pie crust.
So this post using refrigerated pie crust is right up my alley. Great recipe.

Lucy said...

I love the idea of this pie - I've never baked with grapes and they look delicious! I enjoy making pie crusts but have used ready-made for a chocolate pie once or twice :)

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.