Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Vanilla Ice Cream-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
April, a year ago when I joined Tuesdays with Dorie, I was way down the list. Jeez, does time fly. I'm sure everyone who has had the honor thought the same as I. Belonging to such a talented group of bakers has been a great experience.

Although there are still many recipes I might have picked for my turn as host of TWD, inevitably, I knew I would choose one of the ice cream recipes in "Baking From My Home to Yours". Making homemade ice cream has been my culinary joie de vivre. For a wedding present, I received a old style ice cream churn with an electric motor. It was a pain to deal with rock salt and ice so I was thrilled when the Donvier ice cream maker came along. This simple machine had a gel-filled canister that required pre-freezing for 24 hours before processing the ice cream. Easy-no electricity, ice or salt! Just turn the crank and in 15 or 20 minutes you had ice cream. My next ice cream maker was a Cuisinart, an electric version of the Donvier, but had two canisters to pre-freeze and take up space in the freezer. The machine was noisy.Also, I was becoming frustrated with trying to scrape all of the ice cream from around the paddle and sides of the canister.

One frustration led to another, so when a friend suggested that I try the original wooden bucket ice cream churn from WhiteMountain, I immediately ordered the 4 quart hand crank model. What fun I have had making ice cream! It's great for a crowd and there's always a kid who loves to turn the handle. In 20-25 minutes, you have lush, creamy ice cream that tastes like the old days. Now I have come full circle with ice cream makers.

http://www.texascooking.com/features/june2004icecreamfreezers.htm

The only ingredient I added to Dorie's recipe was a pinch of salt. Just the right amount of salt brings out the sweetness of the custard. Not too much, though, you don't want the custard to be too salty.




Vanilla Ice Cream

2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 moist, plump vanilla bean, split and scraped,(technique) or 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
6 large egg yolks
3/4 cup sugar

Bring milk and cream to a boil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan. If you are using a vanilla bean, put the seeds and pod into the pan, cover and set aside for 30 minutes, then bring the milk and cream back to a boil before continuing. If you are using vanilla extract, wait until later to add it.

Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar together until very well blended and just slightly thickened. Still whisking, drizzle in about one third of the hot liquid-this will temper, or warm the eggs so they won't curdle. Whisking all the while, slowly pour in the remaining liquid. Pour the custard back into the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring without stopping, until the custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon; if you run your finger down the bowl of the spoon, the custard should not run into the track. The custard should reach at least 170°F, but no more than 180°F, on an instant-read thermometer. Immediately remove the pan from the heat and strain the custard into a2-quart measuring cup or clean heatproof bowl. Discard the vanilla pod or if you are using vanilla extract, stir it in now.

Refrigerate the custard until chilled before churning it into the ice cream.

Scrape the chilled custard in the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer's instructions. Pack the ice cream into a container and freeze it for at least 2 hours, until it is firm enough to scoop.

Makes about 1 quart.



Serving: If the ice cream is very firm, allow it to sit on the counter for a few minutes before scooping or warm it in a microwave oven using 5-second spurts of heat.

Storing: Packed tightly in a covered container, the ice cream will keep in the freezer about 2 weeks

Playing Around

You can flavor the custard before it gets churned into ice cream and/or toss crunchies and other goodies into the ice cream a minute or so before it fully churned.

Mint Chocolate Chunk Ice Cream

Before you refrigerate the custard, stir in 3/4-1-1/2 teaspoons pure mint extract or oil. Start with 3/4 teaspoon of extract(or just a few drops of oil), taste and then add more a little at a time, remembering that freezing will tone down the flavor. Just before you finish churning the ice cream, toss in up to 6 ounces of semi-or bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (or use up to 1 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips.

Honey-Vanilla Ice Cream

Heat 1/3 cup honey with the milk and cream, reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup.

Cinnamon Ice Cream

Reduce the vanilla to 1/2 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon extract and whisk 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon in with the yolks and sugar. Or, if you'd like to use stick cinnamon, toss 2 cinnamon sticks into the milk and cream and infuse for 30 minutes.

Crunchy Ice Cream


You can add up to 1 cup chocolate chips, caramel bits, chopped-up candy bars, chopped toasted nuts, candied nuts, buttered pecans or liqueur-flamed or steeped dried fruits. The dried fruits must be steeped in liqueur or at least plumped in some liquid or the fruits will freeze too hard.

Swirled Ice Cream

After the ice cream has been churned, you can spoon it into a big bowl, pour over swirlables-for instance, jam, chocolate syrup or dulce de leche-and marble them into the ice cream with a sturdy rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

Printer Friendly Recipe

43 comments:

Clivia said...

I loved learning about all the different ice cream makers. Thanks for choosing this perfect summer recipe!

SiHaN said...

first of all, I would like to thank you for picking this wonderful recipe! it was a hit.. with me at least since I made a small batch of cinnamon honey for myself. hehe. selfish i know. but i was oh soo good! and secondly, I love that white mountain icecream maker of yours. Contemplating a cusinart one as I have to make mine w/o an icecream maker now and it's really rather time consuming.

Cakelaw said...

Love your icecream and all the add-ins. Your icecream buckets and dishes are so cute!! Thanks for being our host this week and introducing me to this terrific vanilla icecream.

Les gourmandises d'Isa said...

merci beaucoup Lynne pour le choix de cette recette, tu ne peux pas imaginer combien elle a été appréciée :)
j'adore ta machine à crème glacée et ta présentation est superbe :)

chocolatechic said...

This was an absolutely fabulous pick.

Thanks so much.

myfamousrecipe said...

Thanks for a great choice this week! Delicious.

dorie said...

I'm so glad you chose the vanilla ice cream and even happier that you liked it. The pictures are great -- an ice cream social just waiting for all of us to come over and dig in.

Mary Ann said...

The ice cream look fabulous! Thanks for a great pick. I am amazed at all the ice cream makers you have had.

Di said...

Thanks for a great pick this week! This ice cream is delicious all by itself, not to mention being a great base for other flavors. I love all your colored bowls. =)

Jessica said...

Thanks for such a great pick this week! I'm so glad it was your turn to pick because I just found your blog and it's wonderful. Can't wait to go back and read all of these scrummy looking posts!

Katrina said...

Awesome! Great pick. Thanks. Loved playing around with this one and just eating it as vanilla.

ostwestwind said...

Thanks for picking this recipe. It was great, so looks yours.

Ulrike @ Küchenlatein

dharmagirl said...

thanks so much for choosing this recipe! it was easy to make and oh so delicious! i'm glad you have a fun ice cream maker...mine is handy but so LOUD.

Linda said...

Thank you for such a perfect summer TWD selection! I loved this recipe.

I have to check out that 4qt hand crank churn...so great for summer parties.

jaysfavoritefoods said...

This was off the charts delicious! Thanks so much for this pick- I've made it 4 times already. We just can't get enough! :)

Pamela said...

Beautiful pictures! And I love the way you served the ice cream. Wonderful presentation. Thanks for this luscious choice this week. We loved it.

Judy said...

Great choice this week! I used to have a White Mountain hand-crank ice cream freezer, but it disappeared during some move. Now, even though I own 2 Donviers and 1 Cuisinart, I'm still keeping an eye out for a better machine.

Hornedfroggy said...

Great pick, Lynne! LOVE your photos! :)

steph- whisk/spoon said...

ice cream hand-churned looks great! thanks for a perfect summer pick!!

Jodie said...

Thanks for the great pick!

Joy said...

I love the sundae bar photo - great colors! And thanks for the great pic - we loved the ice cream!

jillbert said...

Your photos are so cute. Thanks for a great pick! I'm looking forward to playing around with this recipe again.

Audrey said...

This was such a great choice! It's only the second time I've made ice cream and even tho I'm more of a chocolate person, I loved this! Thanks for your great pick!

Lynnylu said...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I will answer everyone of you in a few days. My dear sweet mother passed away this morning due to 3 year battle with Alzheimers disease.

Jaime said...

Lynne, I am so sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts are w/your family during this difficult time

On a lighter note, I love your ice cream maker - so cool! Thanks for a great pick. I enjoyed it.

TeaLady said...

This was a great pick for this time of the year. Has converted me to the joys of vanilla. YAY!!!

I remember that Donvier maker. So fun. So obsolete now. I haven't used a hand crank wooden one in years. Good for you.

Love the multi colored ice cream set.

Emily Rose said...

Thanks so much for choosing this great recipe! I loved the ice cream so much that I made it twice! I'm also very intrigued with your ice cream maker- I have the KitchenAid attachment which I also have trouble scraping the ice cream out of- so I might have to look into your model!

Megan said...

Excellent choice - and I remember having a Donvier machine too! I thought it was a pain in the &&&, but I loved it all the same.

Now of course I am totally spoiled with my electric version!

The Food Librarian said...

Thanks so much for choosing this one! I've never made vanilla ice cream before and it was perfect. :) - mary the food librarian

Rhiani said...

Thanks for hosting this week. And for sharing your input on the various ice cream makers you've tried.

Rhiani said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :(

ostwestwind said...

Oh Lynne, I am so sorry about your mom. Mine also suffers from alzheimer ...

Ulrike @ Küchenlatein

Dragon said...

You can never go wrong with a really great vanilla ice cream. :)

P.S. I tried to email you regarding the Ham and Veg Fritata but your email address bounced back. If you are still interested please email me at mydragonskichen @ gmail.com

Sweet as Coco said...

Fabulous ice cream bar you set up!! What a great idea for company!

Lillian said...

Oh, what lovely presentation! And thank you for choosing this recipe -- it's always good to have an excuse to make ice cream (not that I need one!).

Erin said...

Thank you for picking this week's recipe! I love your pictures. It was fun to look and see what everyone did with this recipe, since vanilla allows for so many adaptations.

Carol Peterman said...

This was the perfect pick for this week. I am sitting in a 97 degree house and this ice cream is a delicious reprieve. I too added a pinch of salt to my custard. I blame my tardiness in getting my post up on the heat!

Amanda said...

First thank you for hosting this week and picking such a great recipes!

Next, I LOVE the presentation on your blog. All the ice creams and toppings, fabulous!

Lastly, I have a Donvier I picked up at a thrift store for $5 that I use all the time, woohoo! I love the look of that White Mountain ice cream maker though, how cool!

Engineer Baker said...

Awesome pick! I'm jealous of your hand crank model, although the ease of an electric one can't be beat. Thanks for picking something that didn't require an oven during the hot weather :)

Jennifer said...

GREAT choice!!! I love homemade vanilla ice cream! Your choice of toppings are yummy!!!

isa said...

Thanks so much for choosing this great recipe!
I love your ice cream maker!
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Cindy said...

Lynne I'm so glad I found your TWD post on Vanilla Ice Cream. I wasn't a member when this treat was made but I could wait no longer. We made it last week when my daughter was here, what a delicious treat. We will make it again, soon.
Love your presentation.
Have a great week.

Heidi said...

Love this recipe! I've been looking for a custard/ice cream recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.