Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Rosemary Peach Spritzer

Print Friendly and PDF
My weekly box of local naturally grown vegetables and fruits from earthwizefarms a CSA near Aiken, SC, just across the Savannah River from Augusta, Georgia, included some luscious peaches which were perfectly ripe and had an intoxicating aroma. Should I make peach ice cream like my mother made when I was a child or a peach cobbler like the perfect ones my grandmother made? Since my children are grown and living away from home, I decided to hold off on the ice cream and cobbler until they came to visit.

My rosemary plants are putting out some nice Spring growth and with them, I just made a rosemary raisin bread for a recent post. While taking the photos for that post, I photographed the peaches with the rosemary sprigs. Viola! I was inspired to find a recipe showcasing the two. After searching briefly on the internet, I found a spirited libation made from a simple syrup infused with rosemary springs and peach halves, steeped overnight and the syrup combined in a ice filled glass with a good rose wine, then topped with club soda. To finish, a few sprigs of rosemary and some of the steeped peach slices


Recipe From Martha Stewart Living

Ingredients

Serves 8

* 3/4 cup sugar
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 4 large ripe peaches (about 1 3/4 pounds), halved, pitted, and cut into 1-inch slices
* 4 sprigs rosemary, plus more for garnish
* Ice, for serving
* 4 cups cold white or rose wine
* 1 liter cold club soda

Directions

1. Bring sugar and water to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Add peaches and rosemary, and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Cover, and let cool. Discard rosemary. Peel peach slices if desired. Transfer peaches with syrup to a container; cover, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
2. Place 2 peach slices and about 1/4 cup syrup in 8 ice-filled glasses. Add 1/2 cup wine to each; top with club soda. Garnish each with a rosemary sprig, and serve immediately.


Printer Friendly Recipe

5 comments:

maisquared said...

looks amazing. i've never made a drink like this before. think i'm going to use this recipe to break in my new house. w00t

zee said...

Looks very very refreshing. Sure gonna beat the heat in Jakarta's hot and humid weather.

Lynnylu said...

Thanks, maisquared and zee. The spritzer will serve you well while entertaining in your new house and in the heat in Jakarta.

Bell said...

sounds yummy!Great color. It's a great lightly alcoholic drink for summer. This is a gorgeous drink choice! Love it for a summer cocktail. We just happen to have loads of rosemary growing in our backyard- perfect. I am thinking we need to join forces and enjoy all these great drinks on the patio. We are making this for the fourth time, so needless to say, it's a great.

mngirl said...

I am hoping to make this for bookclub this week. Do you have a winery you would suggest using?

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.