Friday, April 17, 2009

Favorite Kitchenware

Print Friendly and PDF Photobucket

Always on the hunt for culinary props for my food photography, I have put together some of my favorite cooking and serving pieces from a collection that continues to grow at such an increasingly rapid rate that my cabinets are groaning from the weight. Oh, to have even a tenth of the space that Martha Stewart has for her prop room!

When I'm looking for white bowls,cups and plates, I make sure that they are not only microwave and dishwasher safe, but also oven safe just in case I want to use them for a pot pie, a creme brulee or for just heating the plates to keep them warm for serving. These particular items may cost a little bit more than those that are just microwave and dishwasher safe, but are more adaptable in the kitchen.

Collecting unusual pottery items is a favorite pastime of mine and when traveling, I seek out local potters and gift shops at historic sites for pieces for my growing collection. Sterling silver and silver plate cutlery and serving pieces can be found at some thrift shops as well as antique markets. Sometimes you can get a better deal just by asking if they will give you a discount.

I've just begun collecting antique enamelware in shades of blue, speckled blue and white and granite ware. One of my favorite acquisitions is a granite ware shallow pie pan shown below with the roasted tomatoes and in the top photograph bottom right.

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very pretty and fresh! I love the last pic!



Gadget by The Blog Doctor.