Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Blueberry Crumb Cake Muffins with Lemon Balm

Print Friendly and PDF
Lemon Balm is one of the first herbs of Spring to make its appearance in my herb garden. An easy herb to grow, lemon balm has many uses, both culinary and medicinal. Sprigs of lemon balm can be used to garnish beverages and dried lemon balm leaves can be steeped for tea. The leaves can be buried in sugar overnight for a lemon-scented sugar to use in desserts or for sweetening beverages. Much like the lemon rubbed sugar that Dorie uses in her recipes that call for lemon zest. For savory dishes, use lemon balm with other herbs for roasting chicken or to make an herbal vinaigrette. If you are thinking of planting an herb garden, you would enjoy this perennial herb.

I added a two tablespoons chopped lemon balm to the batter for an extra jolt of lemon flavor. Making muffins seemed like an easy variation of the recipe. I could freeze them and just take out what I wanted; but as it turned out, the muffins rose too high and the walnut crumb topping melted off the top. Rustic muffins, but very tasty.

Sihan has the recipe for the Blueberry Crumb Cake on her blog, but check out the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll to see what other bakers' have done with this recipe.

8 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Lemon balm.

I have never heard of it, but it sounds fabulous.

Michelle said...

Your muffins looks great!

hornedfroggy said...

The muffins are BEAUTIFUL!! Makes me want a slice right now... good thing I brought the cake to work! ;)

Engineer Baker said...

You make me want to grow a whole herb garden in my teeny tiny apartment :) Lemon balm sounds wonderful. Gorgeous muffins!

angela@spinachtiger said...

The lemon balm seems like great idea. And, I think I'll do muffins next time also. Your muffins look pretty.

Lillian said...

They look absolutely delicious. Love the idea of the lemon balm!

TeaLady said...

Oh, those look just right. I will have to try and find lemon balm for my window garden

Isabelle said...

quelle bonne idée la mélisse. Je m'en suis achetée en huile essentielle pour la cuisine...car je n'en ai pas dans mon jardin..c'est fabuleux comme parfum !

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.