Pages

Tuesday, February 03, 2009

World Peace Cookies with Caramel Vanilla Bean Ice Cream Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
Judging from a search on the Internet for World Peace cookies, it seems everyone in the world has made them. All I looked at were beautiful, well-shaped cookies; not one a crumbly mess like mine were. I followed the recipe step-by-step, but at the end, I kept looking back at it wondering if there was something I missed-like an egg, anything to add a little moisture. Even after refrigerating the dough logs overnight, they still were crumbly. I managed about 6 cookies before I gave up! The remaining dough was pressed into two small tart pans and a heart-shaped cake pan.

Verdict-There would be no World Peace if I were in charge of these cookies! Sorry everyone! I was impressed with the dough using it for a tart crust, but I would omit the chocolate chunks. Initially, I planned to make ice cream sandwiches with the cookies. With some caramel sauce I had in the refrigerator, I made a Caramel Vanilla Bean ice cream, but with the crumbly cookie dough and the too-soft ice cream; I only managed a few sandwiches before everything went South. The cookie tart crust worked much better.

Jessica, our host this week, made some lovely World Peace cookies, so check her blog and all the other TWD bakers for some lovely, uncrumbly World Peace cookies.


Caramel Vanilla Bean Ice Cream


1/3 cup sugar
4 large egg yolks
pinch salt
1 1/2 cup half and half
1 cup heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
1 cup prepared caramel sauce,plus extra for drizzling over ice cream

Whisk together sugar, egg yolks and salt in a medium bowl until blended. Combine half and half and heavy cream in a medium heavy saucepan over medium high heat. Heat until small bubbles form around edge of pan. Remove pan from heat. Temper the egg yolks by adding a ladle of hot cream mixture to the eggs, mixing well. Add another ladle, mixing well, then add all of egg mixture to the cream. Return the saucepan to the stove. Over medium-low heat, stir the mixture constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes. Do not boil. Strain custard into a large bowl over a larger bowl of ice. When strained, add vanilla bean paste and caramel sauce, mixing well. When cool,remove from ice bath and refrigerate mixture for several hours until cold. Process in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's direction. Pack the ice cream in a freezer-proof container and freeze until ready to serve. If the ice cream is frozen solid, place in refrigerator for about 20 minutes to soften slightly. Makes about 1 1/2 pints.

12 comments:

chocolatechic said...

So sorry you didn't like it.

I loved it.

Very creative.

Amanda said...

Great adaptation! If all else fails, re-invent something, right? I think you can walk away with a new kind of success, unexpected, on your hands! (BTW, mine was not very crumb like, and more dough like than others. Maybe my butter was too soft? Mine spread a little bit too.)

Banjo said...

Too bad you didn't like them. But with so many recipes in Dorie's book, we can't win them all! I have been there too... They looked great tho, and great call with the ice cream! Better luck with the next TWD! :)

Isabelle said...

vraiment superbes tes déclinaisons :)

Teanna said...

I'm sorry you didn't like it. But seriously, if I were at your place, I would have eaten all of that... ALL OF IT!

TeaLady said...

Oh, well, they can't all turn out. But I like your save with the tart thingy. Great idea. And it looks delish with the ice cream Thanks for THAT recipe.

Lillian said...

When life hands you lemons ...

You seem to have recovered brilliantly, though -- they look marvelous.

Leslie said...

I bet they were amazing with the vanilla ice cream. My second batch was MUCH more successful than the first.

bee said...

there is something waiting for you at jugalbandi. congrats!

Joie de vivre said...

Crumbly or not, they look great! And the ice cream sandwiches are so creative.

HoneyB said...

Just looking at these pics makes me want more of those cookies. They are soooo good! I would have gladly taken them off your hands! ;-)

Jaime said...

perfectly paired w/that ice cream!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.