Pages

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Fiery Corn and Pepper Muffins with Jalapeno Jam-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
Happy to see a savory recipe this week, I was more excited that it featured cornmeal. In my years of baking, I have made more cornbread than any other bread,adding a little cornmeal to my pizza dough and even sneaking some in a green chile and cheese baguette for a more rustic texture. Somewhere there's a definite cornmeal gene in my family. Stone ground cornmeal is a preference which I buy from Old Mill of Guildford.

As a Southerner, I never make my cornbread with sugar, but with these muffins, I caved in somewhat and added just a tablespoon. Instead of the plain chile powder, I used chipotle chile powder which added some more heat and a smokiness to the muffins.


With loads of color and Southwestern flavors, this muffin is a great complement not only as a traditional accompaniment to a bowl of chile or soup, but it shines as a breakfast item with butter and jam. I've made this jalapeno jam a number of times. It's good as a glaze for grilled chicken and pork.


Jalapeno Preserves


3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
6 red or green jalapenos, minced
4 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups red wine vinegar
3/4 cup liquid pectin

In a large, heavy saucepan over high heat, combine peppers, sugar and red wine vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Watch carefully and don't let mixture boil over.

Turn off heat and add pectin. Bring back to a rolling boil. Pour into sterilized jars and seal according to manufacturer's instructions. May also be refrigerated covered in a non-reactive bowl or other vessel for 6 months.
Makes 6 cups.

Thanks to Rebecca of Ezra Pound Cake for choosing this week's TWD recipe. You can find the recipe on her blog.

7 comments:

Teanna said...

Jalapeno preserves?! I am definitely going to have to try that! That looks fantastic!

chocolatechic said...

Jalapeno jam...how wonderful.

TeaLady said...

OH!! I bet they were 'warm'. They look delicious.

Leslie said...

I bet these were awesome with your jalapeno jam! I'm drooling just thinking about it!

Cooking for Comfort by Jennifer said...

WOW....that sounds FANTASTIC! Great job on the muffins!

Banjo said...

They look lovely! Great job :)

Tammy said...

wow, those preserves look like the perfect accompaniment!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.