Pages

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
I was in the windy and cold city of Chicago the week after Thanksgiving so missed two weeks of Tuesdays with Dorie. Chicago is one of my favorite food cities and many of my favorite restaurants are just a block or two from our hotel. Good thing, too, as it was freezing cold there. Now to these crisp, buttery little beauties-Grandma's All Occasion Sugar Cookies, chosen at a perfect time for the Holidays by Ulrike of Küchenlatein.

Such a perfect all-around cookie, the sugar cookies are basically a blank canvas. You can bake and decorate them in any way, shape or form. However, due to my being "cookie decorating challenged", I just flavored them with orange zest, made slice and bake cookies, sprinkled them with sparkling sugar and tied a big bow around them. I'm looking forward to seeing what other TWD bakers have done with their sugar cookies. Maybe I can get some tips on decorating.

After chilling the roll of dough for 2 hours, I popped them in the freezer for about 30 minutes and was pleased that they were easy to slice and didn't crumble. My final verdict on the sugar cookies is that they are a definite keeper. I froze what I didn't eat so the grandchildren can enjoy them over the Holidays. For December 16, Heather from Randomosityandthegirl has chosen Buttery Jam Cookies on page 80 of Baking From My Home to Yours. For this recipe, head over to Ulrike's awesome blog.

16 comments:

chocolatechic said...

I did the orange zest too.

Weren't they fabulous?

Isabelle said...

quelle superbe présentation :)

Rebecca said...

Ohhh, Chicago gets soooo bone cold. Makes my teeth chatter just thinking about it, but I love that city.

Your slice-and-bakes are so pretty! I'll have to try that next time.

vibi said...

Even with simple sugar cookies you are able to reach the perfection we all know and admire you for!
Superb, as usual, Grace!

kim said...

i love your gorgeous and festive photos! glad you enjoyed the cookies :)

Rachel said...

Amazing photos! And the orange zest sounds great.

Engineer Baker said...

Beautiful little slice and bakes. And as for decorating? Simple is so much better. And easier. And involves less hair-pulling. I love Chicago too - even though I'm only a couple hours away, I never can seem to make it there. I miss the Art Institute.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

These look so pretty for Christmas. I love the way you present them.

Teanna said...

They are an absolutely PERFECT all around cookie! And yours really fit that bill! Love the ribbon around the cookies! Great presentation!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Great job on these cookies! I love your presentation with the ribbon!

kittymama said...

Beautiful photos! I think these work great as slice-and-bake and I am another decorating-phobic baker!

The Food Librarian said...

Lovely! Lovely! what a pretty presentation too. They look perfect.

Debbie said...

Your cookies look oh so yummy and your pictures are great.

I love Chicago too!!

TeaLady said...

Great pic. Love the setting. Your cookies look elegant with the gauzy bow.

HoneyB said...

Love the photos and settings - very pretty!

mangomissives said...

I went with orange zest as well. My husband loved them. I am very impressed with your styling and photography.Excellent work!

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.