Pages

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Buttery Jam Cookies-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
I had to adorn my buttery jam cookies with Christmas finery because they looked a little "plain Jane" to me. However, with the tangy apricot flavor and the added chopped crystallized ginger, the cookies were anything but plain. A bit like a biscuit as Dorie pointed out in her introduction to the recipe, the cookies were delicate and crumbly like a shortbread. I had mine with a cup of hot cocoa and thought it a perfect pairing.

I was out of apricot jam, but had some apricot paste I had bought this past week. The flavor is quite intense which is what I wanted to achieve. If you decide to use a fruit paste in the cookies, you will need to microwave it some to get the consistency of jam. Each little bite of cookie had some of the apricot flavor and the crystallized ginger flavor. The dough was difficult to work with, but found that if I wet my hands, I could form a smooth ball, then could flatten them some so they would look more like a cookie. They would be great rolled in confectioners' sugar like Mexican wedding cookies.

Heather from Randomosity and the Girl made a good choice for a not-too-sweet treat for the Holidays. You can find the recipe on her blog or on page 80 of "Baking From My Home to Yours".

Placed in a mug or tea cup with some hot chocolate mix or a favorite blend of tea,the cookies would make a perfect food gift for the Holidays. Next weeks pick, Real Butterscotch Pudding comes from Donna of Spatulas, Corkscrews & Suitcases.

11 comments:

chocolatechic said...

They seemed to me to be a bit like Mexican Wedding cookies too.

I used strawberry jam.

vibi said...

Well, you adorned them just perfectly, Lynne!!!
The pctures look great as usual, but the cookies too!

Engineer Baker said...

Apricot paste? Is that like a fruit puree? Must have been just the punch these cookies needed - nice!

Em said...

Your cookies look great! So glad we made these this week - I think they're my new most favoritest cookie ;-)

The Food Librarian said...

Your cookies look sooo good. And the photos are so delightful. I would like one right now!! :)

scotbrit said...

Beautiful photographs!! And the cookies look scrumptious.

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your cookies look fabulous and your photography is just stunning! Great job!

Banjo said...

They look lovely! Terrific photos too :)

kim said...

really stunning photos! :) your cookies sound great, all of the extra flavor you added must have been delicious.

Jude said...

Your photos as so impressive... Especially love the last one with lights in the background.

Kathy said...

Visiting from Mortal Muses...wow, that last shot is incredible with the lighting and bokeh in the background. Very Christmassy!

Kathy

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.