Pages

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Real Butterscotch Pudding-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
This butterscotch pudding is the real deal, no fake flavors like the boxed version. Do they even make the boxed one anymore? I don't know since I don't buy them. Dorie's Real Butterscotch Pudding chosen by Donna of Spatulas, Corkscrews and Suitcases is rich, smooth with a slight kick by adding a few tablespoons of a 12 year old Glenlivet Scotch whiskey. I was able to buy a small airplane size bottle instead of having to put out the big bucks for a full bottle.

The pudding is a little pale for my eyes so will use dark brown sugar next time I make it. I don't think it would make too much difference in the flavor, maybe even a little deeper butterscotch flavor than with the light brown sugar. After all, one of the definitions of butterscotch is "having a golden or tawny brown" color. According to Wikipedia, "Food historians have several theories regarding the name and origin of this confectionery, but none are conclusive. One explanation is the meaning "to cut or score" for the word "scotch", as the confection must be cut into pieces, or "scotched", before hardening. It is also possible that the "scotch" part of its name was derived from the word "scorch"."

Enjoy other posts on Dorie's Real Butterscotch Pudding from the TWD blogroll. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

15 comments:

Isabelle said...

Quelle belle présentation :) j'ai beaucoup aimé ce pouding !

chocolatechic said...

Gorgeous.

Danielle said...

Your pudding looks great. Good job! I love your pictures.

leanne said...

Awesome pictures.

HoneyB said...

I agree, I would probably use some brown sugar next time also. We really enjoyed the pudding in our home too!

Jaime said...

lovely plating, as always! happy holidays!

confectiona said...

Your presentation is absolutely gorgeous! Truly worthy of this amazing pudding. I just slopped it into some coffee cups!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks so elegant! i thought the same thing about boosting the color with dark brown sugar.

Madam Chow said...

Your pudding looks like it turned out great. I tasted the pudding before and after I added the whiskey, and I think the booze made a huge difference.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Thanks for the definitions! Mine was pale too, but delicious. Love your photo!

Amanda said...

Your pictures are wonderful. I just made mine today..I can't wait to try it.

Megan said...

lovely photos! i'm not sure how i feel about butterscotch but your photos make me willing to give it a try! yum!

Julius said...

Looks delicious!

Happy Holidays :)

~ Julius
from Occasional Baker

Jennifer said...

BEAUTIFUL! I love the presentation in the demitasse cups! Happy New Year!

kim said...

gorgeous photo! i'm glad you liked the pudding. mine was a little too light in color also, but delicious :)

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.