Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vanilla Arborio Rice Pudding with Raspberry Whipped Cream-Tuesdays with Dorie

Print Friendly and PDF
"I know how much you like rice pudding, so you'll be happy with what I'm making for the Tuesday with Dorie group", I said to my husband last week. "Well", he said, "I do like the pudding if it is made properly-it has to be thick and custardy." Whoops!! I thought I was defeated from the beginning, especially after reading the comments and realizing that this rice pudding will be nowhere near being "thick and custardy". Nevertheless, he loved it! The pudding was a bit runny even after cooking over an hour, but thickened up some in it's 5 hour stint in the refrigerator. The Arborio rice, typically used for risotto, was firm and creamy after simmering in the milk. I'm more fond of vanilla flavoring than chocolate and somehow, a chocolate rice pudding didn't thrill me, so I added a tablespoon of Trader Joe's Vanilla Bean Paste to my rice pudding. However, I don't think it is available there now. See the Food Librarian's post on where to buy vanilla bean paste. Dried raspberries steeped in Framboise completed the flavorings in the pudding itself while I topped the finished product with a fresh raspberry whipped cream.

Raspberry Whipped Cream

2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup raspberries
1 1/2 cup cold heavy cream

Combine sugar and raspberries. Crush slightly with a fork. Let stand 20 minutes. In an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, whip cream until stiff peaks form; lightly fold in crushed raspberries until a swirl pattern is achieved. Refrigerate until ready to top rice puddings. Makes about 2 cups. Original recipe here.

Dessert shots are quite the rage now and I thought that was a good way to contain my puddings. This was all last minute thinking and the sun was sinking fast, so fired off a few shots quickly. Actually, I think the rice pudding shots are a good way to serve the puddings, especially after a rich meal when just a "petite bouchée" satisfies. Thanks to Isabelle from lesgourmandisesdias for her comfort food pick of the quintessential rice pudding. Next week is the Thanksgiving Twofer pie, two favorite holiday pies, pumpkin and pecan, rolled into one with Vibi of lacasserolecarree as host. Also, don't miss seeing all the lovely variations on the Arborio rice pudding on the Tuesdays with Dorie website. Until next time, "Cheers"!


One year ago- Red Onion Slice Still Life from photo-per-diem.

25 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Yours are beautiful.

Isabelle said...

C'est superbe comme d'habitude :) je persiste à écrire que la quantité de riz n'était pas suffisante! j'en fais régulièrement, je mets 3 fois plus de riz arborio que ce que dorie préconise dans sa recette

Teanna said...

Woah! Looks like you had yourself quite the critic before you even got started! I'm glad that you were able to please him! haha! That raspberry whipped cream looks amazing!

Rebecca said...

Raspberry whipped cream sounds lovely. What a nice twist on this one.

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

Yum! What a great variation!

Engineer Baker said...

I'm glad your husband liked it, even though it was a little looser. The raspberry whipped cream sounds fabulous.

Kristen said...

Oh how beautiful!

Cynthia said...

These look like the best. Love the addition of raspberries.

pinkstripes said...

The raspberry whipped cream sounds divine. YUM! I love the presentation in the cups.

(You can get vanilla bean paste at Whole Foods, Williams-Sonoma, Sur la Table, gourmet groceries--although I find it cheapest at a cooking class I go to, $7)

Tammy said...

I used vanilla paste too, but i love the addition of the raspberries!

The DeL Sisters said...

Cute! Glad your husband enjoyed!

HoneyB said...

Beautiful pics!

Para i familiaku said...

WoW~ this looks so delicious! It also looks fairly easy to make, I hope so, because I do not really make rice pudding. I will try to make it this weekend! I can almost smell the raspberry.


Nice.. Please visit my blog!
www.taotaotasi.blogspot.com

The Food Librarian said...

So beautiful! Love the presentation! (And I can't find the vanilla paste at Trader Joe's now too....so disappointed I didn't buy up a zillion bottles when it was available!)

kim said...

beautiful photos as usual! i'm glad your husband liked it, despite the lack of thick-and-custardy texture!

Jess said...

Beautiful presentation, as always. I had some vanilla bean paste in the pantry (from FancyFlours.com) and can't believe I forgot to use it - the little flecks are just what the pudding needs.

Joie de vivre said...

Love the top photo. A good way to photograph an unphotogenic food like rice pudding!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Your puddings look fabulous and photos are stunning! Great job!

TeaLady said...

Raspberry cream - how elegant they look. Glad it worked out for you. Love the last pic.

scotbrit said...

That looks quite delicious, Lynne. Save some for me.

Shari@Whisk: a food blog said...

Nice idea to add the raspberry whipped cream!

Linda said...

love the dessert shots...perfect portion control! and that raspberry whipped cream sounds fabulous!!!!

Lynn said...

Looks great. I have never used arborio rice before. I think I will give that a try. I make a similar recipe but, instead I add almond extract and add slivered almonds and add the whipped cream into the rice, then top it with a raspberry sauce using raspberries I froze from the garden. I wish I could get mine to look as nice as yours, though. I just plop mine in any old dish. I think presentation counts for a ton. Lovely.

Lynn said...

You take the greatest photos! I am so jealous! Keep up the good work.

Rojario said...

I have pretty good passion for rice pudding from when I was growing up. My aunt is a masterpiece in making this. I've always had the baked ones with the nice brown crust on top. This recipe given here is pretty good. I will give it a try.

Loading...
Gadget by The Blog Doctor.